10 months agoWolves captain Conor Coady: Stop talking about Europe

first_imgWolves captain Conor Coady: Stop talking about Europeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves captain Conor Coady insists there’s no room for Europe talk.They go to rock-bottom Fulham on Boxing Day having dropped to 10th after Friday’s 2-0 defeat to Liverpool – but they are still just four points off sixth.“We’ve gone from being in the Championship and people are talking about Europe,” said Coady.“We need to make sure we’re level-headed. We want to make sure we look at it game by game.“It (European talk) just doesn’t happen, all the lads will tell you nothing like that has been said in the changing room.“We haven’t looked too much at the league, you can move so much if you win, lose or draw. We’re the same as the boss, we don’t look too much into that. We’ve started the season alright, we’re where we wanted to be, we wanted to keep momentum going from last season.“Up to now it’s been okay but you look at games like Friday, we want to win games. It doesn’t matter if it’s Liverpool or Fulham.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

a month agoNorwich boss Daniel Farke: Players didn’t let me down today

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Norwich boss Daniel Farke: Players didn’t let me down todayby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveNorwich City boss Daniel Farke says they must learn from defeat at Crystal Palace.Farve says that everyone must stick together to make Carrow Road a fortress, following the club’s 2-0 away defeat to Crystal Palace on Saturday.“It was clear that there would be difficult periods during this season,” he said. “To be competitive at this level is so difficult for us, especially with such a harsh injury situation. We have to stick together and show great commitment and desire.“The players didn’t let me down today, they tried everything and gave their heart. We just weren’t effective enough in using our chances. Carrow Road will be a fortress again next week. We have to go through this difficult time together.”He added: “There were some crucial periods in the game. We had to stand strong in the first 15 minutes and not allow them to have many chances. There was no need to concede the penalty because the striker was facing away from our goal. We have to be a bit more calm.” last_img read more

21 days agoEverton boss Silva urges board not to panic

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Everton boss Silva urges board not to panicby Paul Vegas21 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton boss Marco Silva has urged the board not to panic after a slow start to the season.Everton head into Saturday’s game at Burnley on the back of three straight defeats to heap the pressure back on Silva. Asked if he felt he had the backing of director of football Marcel Brands as unrest grows, Silva said: “I understand what you are asking, and we have to be on the same page, we must be.“If you ask me if I feel I am with Marcel, then 100 per cent. It doesn’t make sense for me and for a football club to have a project and then change it because we didn’t win the last three games. You can not do that, it is impossible.”He added: “We inside the club know what’s happened last summer – we have to know because we are football people.“I know what the club asked me as well. I know everything that has happened and for me it is so clear. Stability is so important. If you ask me then I don’t feel anything has changed in the last week. Of course I am not happy, the players are not happy, everyone inside is not happy.“But the club is clear. We showed last summer that we had a project and I’am the manager to handle and work with the players we have.” last_img read more

15 hours agoChelsea hero Nevin tells Lampard: Don’t spend big after transfer ban

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Chelsea hero Nevin tells Lampard: Don’t spend big after transfer banby Freddie Taylor15 hours agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea hero Pat Nevin has urged the club not to spend big after their transfer ban concludes.The Blues are currently a six-match winning run thanks in large part to their flourishing contingent of academy graduates.Those youngsters have benefitted from Chelsea’s inability to buy any players until next summer, and Nevin thinks the club must resist ruining their development.He wrote on the club’s website: “Our young side have just deservedly beaten Ajax, the best young side in Europe, at their own ground and it was no fluke, Chelsea were the better team.”If we do the double over them on 5 November, does that then make us the best young side in Europe? If it does, then should Frank take a chance on ruining that progress with a bunch of new signings?”Why for example would you even consider buying, say, another centre-forward when Tammy Abraham has been superb and is absolutely definitely going to get even better? Well there could be a dip in form or an injury, or indeed he might just need a rest at some point.”We have got other strikers already on the roster. Michy’s goals-to-minutes-played figures are off the scale again this season for club and country, but what club or indeed manager would turn down a world-class player if he suddenly became available?”I hadn’t considered it at all this season, because with Chelsea lying fourth in the Premier League, who cares about next season right at this moment? Well the club has to, Frank has to and doing things at the last moment on a whim is generally not considered the best way to bring long-term success to any club. So forward planning is a given.”I suspect there will be a bit of a war chest available to Frank by the summertime, but unlike other clubs around us, such as Manchester United and maybe even Spurs, it doesn’t look like a whole new outfit is needed, just a few little jewels added to make the whole thing sparkle even more.”I wouldn’t be surprised however if the club takes precisely the opposite approach to previous seasons when these acquisitions are considered.”During the ‘Roman era’, how many world-class strikers of a certain age have come to the Bridge with, it has to be a said, varying levels of success? I almost can’t imagine Frank doing that, but I can imagine the scouts being sent out around the planet to find the next hot young thing who would fit into, or more likely grow into, this group and this system.” last_img read more

Photo: Jonathan Williams Part Of Victory Formation In Liberty Bowl After Missing Entire Season

first_imgJonathan Williams featured in victory formation during Liberty Bowl.jonthan williams victory formationThis past August, Arkansas star junior running back Jonathan Williams suffered a season-ending foot injury during a team scrimmage. Well, it was supposed to be season-ending, at least. Saturday, during the Liberty Bowl, Williams actually technically made it back on the field. With the Razorbacks holding a 45-23 lead over Kansas State in the game’s final few minutes, head coach Bret Bielema opted to put Williams on the field in the back of the team’s victory formation. Considering the fact that Williams is now headed to the NFL, it was his final few snaps of his collegiate career.In the back of that formation is senior @Jwillpart2. Thanks for the memories! #WPS #LibertyBowl pic.twitter.com/68nGRGHSW7— Razorback Nation (@RazNation) January 2, 2016I love this. @Jwillpart2 post game. Awesome seeing him on the field this year #WPS pic.twitter.com/x9WqvIdrNU— Chase Shannon (@chase_shannon) January 3, 2016Props to Bielema for figuring out a way to let Williams go out on a high note.last_img read more

Thousands remain without power in wake of weekend ice storm

first_imgTORONTO – Utility crews continued repairing severed power lines on Tuesday morning after a wild few days of rain, freezing rain, snow and strong wind across much of southern, central and eastern Ontario.The province’s largest utility, Hydro One, was reporting around 40,000 customers without electricity — down from a high of about 300,000 in the early stages of the storm.Just over 2,000 Hydro Ottawa customers remained in the dark — down from about 75,000 — and Toronto Hydro was reporting a few hundred outages by Tuesday morning. Hydro Quebec was dealing with almost 19,000 outages in Montreal and surrounding areas.The blast of winter weather also impacted the boys of summer, when a chunk of ice falling from the CN Tower poked a hole in the Rogers Centre roof, cancelling a game between the Toronto Blue Jays and Kansas City Royals.They were scheduled to play a doubleheader on Tuesday.An around the tower remained roped off until Tuesday morning, when police said the ice no longer posed a safety concern.Toronto’s Pearson International Airport said they expected higher than normal volumes as they recover from the storm. Travellers were advised to check their flight status before heading to the airport.Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version erroneously referred to the SkyDome. In fact, the building is now called the Rogers Centre.last_img read more

Rhys Ifans Slams Wild Animal Circuses

first_imgRhys Ifans has joined Animal Defenders International to help wild animals forced to perform in circuses, slamming the outdated practice as “cruel”.His passionate declaration puts pressure on the governments of Wales and England to fulfil their pledges to ban wild animal acts. A controversial lion and tiger show barred from England over welfare failings was due to open last week in Bridgend, but was cancelled after widespread opposition.Pembrokeshire-born actor and musician Rhys Ifans, known for his role in Notting Hill, gave his support to Animal Defenders International’s Stop Circus Suffering campaign saying, “Like bear baiting, witch burning and the “Welsh not”, this cruel practice belongs in the past.”Rhys joins a host of celebrities, conservation experts, vets and wildlife experts backing Animal Defenders International’s call for legislation to prohibit wild animal circus acts. The organisation is urging members of the public to avoid animal circus shows ahead of promised laws being passed in England and Wales.Animal Defenders International President Jan Creamer said “Rhys is a true star for speaking out on behalf of the lions, tigers and other wild animals who continue to suffer for entertainment. Confining these incredible animals to cages and forcing them to perform tricks serves no education or conservation purpose and must be stopped. We urge the Welsh Assembly and British Government to urgently move forward with their plans to prohibit them once and for all, and landowners not to allow these archaic acts on their land in the meantime.”‘An evening with lions and tigers’ features two lions and three tigers forced to perform tricks under the guise of education. The show was prevented from performing in England over welfare failings and is now touring Wales where regulations for wild animals in circuses do not apply. The show has sparked a public outcry, meeting with political opposition, protests and petitions as it tours.The big cats’ conditions contrast starkly to those they would enjoy in the wild. Tigers are solitary and have limited contact with their own kind in their natural environment, roaming and defending a territory which can be as large as 470 km2. Chipperfield’s tigers live in close proximity to one another and alongside lions, who they would never encounter in the wild, in a confined beastwagon which is both their travelling and living quarters.Pressure is mounting on the Welsh Assembly to end wild animal circuses. Earlier this year, a government spokesperson stated “We are pressing the UK government to deliver on the promise to legislate as soon as possible.” Support remains strong, with Welsh Labour pledging to end such acts in its election manifesto and the Welsh Conservatives committing to end the “barbaric” and “damaging” shows last month. The First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones recently tweeted “We need to get to a common position with the GB nations on banning circuses with wild animals”.31 countries already have national restrictions on animal performances in place. A wild animal circus ban in England was announced in 2012 and draft legislation published the following year. Government inaction on the issue has allowed a big cat act to appear in Britain, and two circuses continue to perform with wild animals.The British public is overwhelmingly opposed to wild animal performances. Distaste for the outdated entertainment is reflected by consistently high support for a ban.An Early Day Motion to expedite the wild animal ban in England has secured cross-party support and been signed by several Welsh MPs.last_img read more

Charlie Lake fire crews respond to fire at property near Hilltop Road

first_imgUPDATE: PRRD Chief Administrative Officer Chris Cvik said that the Charlie Lake Fire Department was called out to the fire at around 3:00 p.m. Thursday. Cvik said that five apparatus and fifteen firefighters responded and immediately began efforts to extinguish the fire. He said that crews were hampered in their efforts by downed power lines and a ruptured gas line, which resulted in the building deemed a total loss.CLARIFICATION: A previous version of this story stated that members of the Charlie Fire Department were seen extinguishing the fire at the property shortly before 5:00 p.m., which was when our reporter arrived at the scene. A neighbour of the property where the fire occurred said that fire crews arrived at the scene shortly after they were called.We apologize if the wording of the article implied that the fire department took over an hour to respond to the fire. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – A fire gutted an outbuilding on a rural property west of Charlie Lake yesterday.Energeticcity.ca first received a report of the fire at a home on Dover Avenue near Hilltop Road from a social media post made at around 3:45 yesterday afternoon. Members of the Charlie Lake Fire Department were seen with hoses actively extinguishing the blaze, which was still burning inside the property’s outbuilding.Several small explosions were heard to be emanating from inside the shop while crews worked to extinguish the fire. The property’s owners were able to evacuate safely, but declined to offer comment.Acting Fire Chief Dale Winsted was also unable to comment on what caused the fire or the extent of the damage, saying that the Peace River Regional District would have more information.We’ll have an update on the fire later this morning.last_img read more

Suits and Boots gearing up for proresource blitz after activists hang from

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – After activists hung off the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge in Vancouver last week, the organization Suits and Boots is gearing up for a pro-resource blitz all across B.C.Suits and Boots was launched in April by former federal Conservative leadership candidate Rick Peterson to “combat anti-resource propaganda.”In May the organization held a rally in support of Kinder Morgan’s Transmountain Pipeline simultaneously with those held in Fort St. John, Kitimat, Fort Nelson and Smithers. Peterson mentioned that volunteers from his group will start consulting with mayors, councillors, MLAs and MPs to get representatives.The group will consult politicians all across B.C. and speak with members as far north as Mackenzie, Fort St. John, Dawson Creek, and Vanderhoof.“Enough is enough. We can no longer stand by and let this stream of anti-resource propaganda spread like an infectious disease, so we’re gearing up for a pro-resource blitz across B.C. this summer,” stated Peterson.The consulting is expected to start later this week.last_img read more

AltaGas founder remains mum on sudden resignation of CEO David Harris

first_imgCALGARY, A.B. – The chairman of AltaGas Ltd. says its leadership team is “stepping in and stepping up” in the wake of the sudden departure of president and CEO David Harris last week.AltaGas founder and chairman David Cornhill, who is filling in with director Phillip Knoll as interim co-CEOs of the Calgary-based company, said at the start of a conference call he will not take questions about why Harris has left the company.He repeated information in a statement last week that Harris and the board of directors mutually agreed on the resignation in the wake of a non-specific “complaint” that the board is investigating. He says the company has already started the process of finding and hiring a permanent CEO and cautioned that may take some time.Cornhill repeated the complaint is not related to AltaGas’ strategy, operations or financial reporting, but didn’t explain what it was related to or why the company is investigating if Harris’s resignation is final.Harris, who has been with Calgary-based AltaGas since 2010 and its top executive since April 2016, oversaw the company’s $6-billion deal to buy Washington, D.C.-based energy utility company WGL Holdings, Inc., which closed in July.Cornhill founded AltaGas in 1994 and was its CEO until Harris took over.last_img read more