9 2. Lionel Messi earns $53.4million a year in salary and bonuses 8. Eden Hazard earns $17m a year in salary and bonuses 9 7. Luis Suarez earns $17.8m a year in salary and bonuses 3. Zlatan Ibrahimovic was earning $30.4m a year in salary and bonuses at PSG and is understood to have signed a £200,000-a-week wage at Man United 5. Wayne Rooney earns $20m a year in salary and bonuses 9 6. Bastian Schweinsteiger earns $19.4m in salary and bonuses 4. Gareth Bale earns $24.9m a year in salary and bonuses Neymar’s new contract at Barcelona has boosted his wages at the Camp Nou.According to American business magazine Forbes, the 24-year-old was earning a reported $14.5m salary but is likely to have increased this significantly and his lawyer, Marcos Motta was forced to withdraw his comment when he claimed the player’s deal was the ‘biggest’ in football.There are no concrete figures yet, but it appears he is definitely closer to team-mate Lionel Messi’s reported $51m salary.So, who is in the current top ten? Here is Forbes’ 2016 ranking using salary and bonuses only… 9 9 9. Sergio Aguero earns $16.8m a year in salary and bonuses – Click the right arrow above to find out who the top earning footballers in the world are – According to Forbes, Neymar was earning a reported $14.5m salary, but is likely to have increased this significantly after recently signing a new contract at Barcelona. His lawyer, Marcos Motta was forced to withdraw his comment when he claimed the player’s deal was the ‘biggest’ in football, but it appears he will definitely be closer to Lionel Messis salary. Here, talkSPORT looks at the football rich list, according to American business mag Forbes. 9 9 9 9 1. Cristiano Ronaldo earns $56m a year in salary and bonuses
The Unnao rape survivor, who sustained serious injuries in a collision and was flown to Delhi’s AIIMS Trauma Centre on Monday night, remained critically ill, hospital authorities said on Tuesday.“The patient was shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre from KGMC Lucknow on August 5 at night,” AIIMS said in a statement. “She is sick, on life support systems, needing medication to support her blood pressure. The patient remains critical and is undergoing treatment under a multi-disciplinary team of doctors.”The survivor’s lawyer, who was also shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre on Tuesday morning, also remained critical. Mahendra Singh, the Unnao rape victim’s lawyer, “has severe traumatic injury and has multiple fractures. Presently, he is critical, unconscious and on advanced life support,’’ hospital authorities said.Delhi Traffic Police had created a green corridor on Monday to shift the rape survivor from the Indira Gandhi International Airport to the Trauma Centre, covering a distance of about 14 km in 18 minutes.The rape survivor suffered critical injuries when a speeding truck collided with a car she was travelling in, near Rae Bareilly last week. She was flown to Delhi on the Supreme Court’s direction.
The All India Football Federation (AIFF) heaved a sigh of relief as the sports ministry on Tuesday cleared India’s men and women’s football teams for the Incheon Asian Games from September 19 to October 4.The teams, which are currently in China, have been cleared at all-cost-to-the-government basis. The men’s squad will comprise 20 members and women’s 18.Meanwhile, the final list of players who would be boarding the flight to Incheon have also been named by the men’s and women’s coaches Wim Koevermans and Tarun Roy, respectively.Dempo’s Alwyn George, Pune FC duo Salam Ranjan Singh and Dhanpal Ganesh and Sporting Clube De Goa’s Rowlin Borges failed to make the cut for the Asian Games for the U-23 India Men’s side.On the other hand, Supriya Routray, Indumathi, Jyoti Ann Burrett and Rinaroy Devi won’t be travelling to Incheon along with the Indian Women’s squad.Clubbed in Group A alongside hosts South Korea, the Maldives and Thailand, the Indian women play their first group league match against Maldives September 14. The other matches are against South Korea (September 17) and Thailand (September 19).The U-23 men, on the other hand, have to take on the might of last Games’ silver medallists United Arab Emirates (UAE) in their first group league match slated for September 15 while their last match in the Group is against Jordan on September 22.Squads:Men:Goalkeepers: Amrinder Singh, Ravi Kumar, Kamaljit Singh.Defenders: Pritam Kotal, Keenan Almeida, Joyner Lourenco, Shankar Sampingiraj, Sandesh Jhingan, Narayan Das.Midfielders: Pronoy Halder, Clifton Dias, Siam Hangal, Lalrindika Ralte, Milan Singh.Forwards: Francis Fernandes (senior Player), Seiminlen Doungel, Sunil Chhetri (senior player), Robin Singh (senior player), Haokip Thongkoshim, Mandar Rao Desai.advertisementWomen:Goalkeeper: Okram Roshni Devi, Aditi Chauhan, Pushpa TirkeyDefenders: Ashem Romi Devi, Ashalata Devi, Tuli Goon, Radharani Devi, Suprava Samal, Upamati DeviMidfielders: Premi Devi, Amoolya Kamal, Mandakini Devi, Oinam Bembem Devi, Kamala Devi.Forwards: Sasmita Malik, Prameshwori Devi, Dangmei Grace, Bala Devi.
Close to 50 teams will compete in the 2015 Metro Cup competition, which starts this Friday, 17 July at Whites Hill, Brisbane. Teams from across Brisbane and surrounding areas will compete in the 14 round competition, which will be played weekly and will finish with grand finals on Saturday, 21 November. 49 teams will compete across six divisions in the competition, ranging from Men’s and Women’s Premier through to Men’s and Women’s division two competitions.L&T Dodgers will be hopeful of winning back-to-back Men’s Premier League titles in 2015, as well as Men’s Division One and Two titles which they also won in 2014, while the Southern Storm will be looking for consecutive Women’s Premier League wins following their 2014 victory. To keep up-to-date with all of the latest news and results from the 2015 Metro Cup, please visit the following sites:Website – www.bmta.com.auFacebook – www.facebook.com/brisbanetouch 2014 Metro Cup results Men’s Premier LeagueL&T Dodgers 7 defeated Country Club Colts 5Women’s Premier LeagueSouthern Storm 9 defeated Country Club Colts 2Men’s Division OneL&T Dodgers 6 defeated Uni Rebels 4Women’s Division OneRedlands Crushers 7 defeated Southern Storm 6Men’s Division TwoL&T Dodgers 7 defeated Country Club Colts 6Women’s Division TwoUni Rebels Juniors 7 defeated Uni Rebels IPS 6Related Links2015 Metro Cup
Wolves captain Conor Coady: Stop talking about Europeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves captain Conor Coady insists there’s no room for Europe talk.They go to rock-bottom Fulham on Boxing Day having dropped to 10th after Friday’s 2-0 defeat to Liverpool – but they are still just four points off sixth.“We’ve gone from being in the Championship and people are talking about Europe,” said Coady.“We need to make sure we’re level-headed. We want to make sure we look at it game by game.“It (European talk) just doesn’t happen, all the lads will tell you nothing like that has been said in the changing room.“We haven’t looked too much at the league, you can move so much if you win, lose or draw. We’re the same as the boss, we don’t look too much into that. We’ve started the season alright, we’re where we wanted to be, we wanted to keep momentum going from last season.“Up to now it’s been okay but you look at games like Friday, we want to win games. It doesn’t matter if it’s Liverpool or Fulham.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
In the case of the Beet Army Worm, he noted that the Ministry provided $18 million to help farmers affected in Manchester and St. Elizabeth, adding that Cabinet only last week approved a $700-million programme to fight the Frosty Pod Rot cocoa disease over the next two years. Story Highlights Delivering a Statement to the House of Representatives on Tuesday (January 23), Mr. Samuda said the Ministry has, so far, provided $240 million in support to the Rural Agricultural Development Authority (RADA) to provide planting material and other inputs to farmers. The Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries is to provide $100 million in support to farmers affected by the recent heavy rains in Portland, St. Mary and Trelawny. The Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries is to provide $100 million in support to farmers affected by the recent heavy rains in Portland, St. Mary and Trelawny.Portfolio Minister, Hon. Karl Samuda, has explained that these three parishes experienced extreme flooding, not only causing agricultural damage of over $343 million but also significant infrastructure damage, such as farm roads.Delivering a Statement to the House of Representatives on Tuesday (January 23), Mr. Samuda said the Ministry has, so far, provided $240 million in support to the Rural Agricultural Development Authority (RADA) to provide planting material and other inputs to farmers.In the case of the Beet Army Worm, he noted that the Ministry provided $18 million to help farmers affected in Manchester and St. Elizabeth, adding that Cabinet only last week approved a $700-million programme to fight the Frosty Pod Rot cocoa disease over the next two years.Meanwhile, Mr. Samuda said following a 13.5 per cent growth in the sector in 2016, agriculture experienced a 3.7 per cent decline in the first quarter of 2017, due to persistent drought conditions.“As is well known, from April to the end of the year, we had almost continuous rain, with flooding in May and June. This resulted in second-, third- and fourth-quarter declines. Preliminary estimates indicate that we will have a decrease for the sector of about four per cent,” Mr. Samuda said.“From June to October alone last year, direct crop and livestock losses amounted to over $300 million. The weather conditions not only caused losses in crops and livestock, but its continuous nature inhibited efforts at restoration, such as ploughing, land preparation and planting of certain crops,” he added.Mr. Samuda also noted that the weather significantly impacted the latter part of the sugar-cane harvest, factory efficiency and the quality of the cane.“This sector is dominated by a myriad of small players with small plots of land operating at the subsistence level, and without insurance. A responsible government has to respond with some kind of assistance,” he said.
John MurrayAPTN InvestigatesAlberta is starting to see the results of decades of industrial activity on the land. Heavy industries like oil and gas have left a mess behind and it needs to be cleaned up.The community of Fishing Lake Métis Settlement (FLMS) has concerns about what industry calls reclamation.Herb Lehr, chairperson of FLMS, said it affects traditional activities.“For us it’s a complete way of living that’s getting devastated here. Our people hunt and fish and they really do sustain themselves off these lands,” he said.Market conditions, court rulings, and a clean-up fund that is billions of dollars short of what is needed leave many wondering what will happen with abandoned and orphaned industry [email protected]@murrjw
TORONTO – When University of Toronto engineering professor Parham Aarabi first began researching face tracking technology, it never occurred to him that his resulting startup would later be snapped up by the world’s biggest cosmetics company, L’Oreal.In fact, Aarabi thought the initial application of what is now ModiFace’s lip and eye tracking capabilities would be speech recognition in noisy environments, he said.“What happened was I realized, and we initially realized, that this technology had a lot of use for cosmetic simulations,” said Aarabi, ModiFace’s chief executive, in an interview. “For example, showcasing lipstick products, because we had the exact boundary of the lips.”On Friday, 11 years after Aarabi founded the Toronto-based startup, L’Oreal announced it was acquiring ModiFace as part of its digital acceleration strategy.The Paris-based beauty behemoth, whose 34 brands include Maybelline and Lancome as well as its namesake beauty products line, did not disclose financial terms of the acquisition.ModiFace’s technology is already being used by 100 brands and allows customers to try on beauty products such as lipstick or eyeshadow or do skin diagnoses via mobile app, online or in-store augmented reality mirrors. For example, customers can try on different hair colour shades by taking a photo or using their smartphone or webcam’s video capabilities before making a purchase online or at the counter.ModiFace uses artificial intelligence to help track the user’s face and detect where the eyes and lips are, he said. AI is also used to track data, including colour selections and how that pertains to face and eye shape, said Aarabi.The Toronto-based firm will be part of L’Oreal’s Digital Services Factory, a dedicated network to design and develop new digital services for the group’s brands, L’Oreal said.“With its world-class team, technologies and sustained track record in terms of beauty tech innovations, ModiFace will support the reinvention of the beauty experience around innovative services to help our customers discover, try and chose products and brands,” said Lubomira Rochet, L’Oreal’s chief digital officer in a statement. “We at L’Oréal and ModiFace want to pioneer this new page of the beauty industry.”ModiFace now employs nearly 70 engineers, researchers and scientists, who have submitted more than 200 scientific publications and registered over thirty patents.In addition to beauty brands, ModiFace is also being used by the likes of Samsung, which has equipped its newest Galaxy S9 smartphones with its augmented reality technology. Aarabi said ModiFace also has a partnership with virtual bulletin board platform Pinterest, but would not disclose more details as it is not public yet.Even after its 100 per cent acquisition, ModiFace will remain based in Toronto to stay close to the University of Toronto where Aarabi continues to be a professor and where the firm has established research partnerships.Last April, ModiFace invested $4 million to fund student internships and research at the university’s engineering department.“ModiFace became what it is because of the excellent engineering talent in Toronto… It’s a great place to have a tech company. We’re very much not only interested in staying here, but also growing here as well,” said Aarabi.
“Having traffic back up because of a minor collision where nobody was hurt doesn’t help anyone – and worse, it can lead frustrated drivers to take steps that are unsafe,” said Mike Farnworth, Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General. “Today’s increase in the damage threshold for these kinds of crashes is long overdue and will allow people and police officers to move damaged vehicles out of the way without delay.”The threshold increase is effective Friday, March 8, 2019. Police will continue to file a mandatory, written report with ICBC for every crash they attend that results in death or injury.“Police officers will continue to attend collisions involving minor property damage at their discretion – for example, if questions arise about driver impairment or who’s at fault,” said Chief Const. Neil Dubord, chair of the B.C. Association of Chiefs of Police traffic safety committee. “However, lifting the threshold for mandatory, written reports when officers do attend will help clear crash scenes much more quickly. In turn, it may lower risks for those working at the scene and motorists alike.” VICTORIA, B.C. – The Province of B.C. has changed the rules to help police clear accidents faster.Currently, officers who attend a property-damage-only collision must complete a written report before any vehicles can be removed from the road if damage exceeds $1,000 (for motorcycles, $600; for bicycles, $100). The Province has now increased that threshold to $10,000 per property-damage-only collision regardless of the vehicle type.
Sophomore midfielder Morgan Kile (8) battles for the ball in a game against Saint Louis on Aug. 28 at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won the season opener 5-0.Credit: Kevin Stankiewicz / Asst. Sports EditorA trip to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, ended up mostly successful for the Ohio State field hockey team, as it took a top-15 team to overtime on Friday before grabbing an easy win the next day.In its first overtime appearance of the season, OSU fell short to the No. 11 Wake Forest Deacons (3-1) by a score of 3-2 on Friday. The offense stayed strong through the second half with sophomore forward/midfielder Maddy Humphrey and senior forward Peanut Johnson in charge of both goals, which occurred a mere nine seconds apart in the second half. On those two scores, sophomore midfielder Morgan Kile contributed her first two assists of the season.A one-goal lead was maintained by OSU until the 57th minute, when Wake Forest’s Jule Grashoff scored a goal with an assist from teammate Heather Wiley, pushing the game to overtime with a score of 2-2. Only a minute and 19 seconds of extra time later, Wake Forest’s Megan Anderson netted the game-winning goal. The Buckeyes led the game in saves, with sophomore goalie Liz Tamburro pulling out eight stops for the second game in a row. Despite Friday’s loss, OSU (2-2) came out on top the next day, scoring a season record of five goals against Missouri State (0-3) and taking the win with a final score of 5-0. Outshooting Missouri 14-3 in the first half alone, the Buckeyes’ high energy and determination was evident from the start at Kentner Stadium. Senior back and captain Emma Royce opened the scoring in the 21st minute to give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead. After opening up the second half with an unassisted goal from junior midfielder Paige Hamilton less than three minutes in, OSU increased its lead to 3-0 with Royce scoring just three minutes later off a pass from Johnson.In the 53rd minute, Humphrey scored off an assist from Kile, making it her fourth goal of the year and Kile’s third assist this weekend. The fifth and final score was registered by junior forward Mercedes Hamilton near the 60-minute mark for the first score of her career, with an assist from sophomore forward Lauren Archibald. The Buckeyes walked off the field outshooting Missouri 21-7 and leading penalty corners 9-5. Tamburro held the shutout with five total saves for her second win of the season. The Buckeyes are next set to compete on their home field on Friday against Ball State at 3:30 p.m.