Organisation FranceEurope – Central Asia News News June 4, 2021 Find out more June 2, 2021 Find out more Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information News FranceEurope – Central Asia to go further Follow the news on France RSF_en News Reporters Without Borders condemns the arrest of press photographer Jean-Claude Elfassi for several hours on 10 July and the seizure of some his material. Police arrested Elfassi after he took photos of the judicial reenactment of a murder in the Paris suburb of Pantin on 10 July.“Every aspect of this case is shocking,” the press freedom organisation said. “Elfassi was just doing his job at the scene of the reenactment of a murder which many people were able to attend. After being physically attacked by two people, he was taken into police custody while his assailants were released. He claims there were many irregularities and procedural errors. The behaviour of the police is particularly disturbing. We hope the police internal investigations department, which has been asked to look into the case, will do so with all the necessary care.”Reporters Without Borders added: “More and more journalists are being prosecuted on charges of violating professional secrecy or the confidentiality of a judicial investigation, and this reduces them to the level of criminals. We think it is essential to remember that journalism is one of the cornerstones of democracy and the rule of law, not a threat to them.”After taking several photos of the murder reenactment, Elfassi was assaulted by two witnesses who tried to take his photographic material. The police intervened and took him and his two assailants to the Pantin police station where he filed a complaint accusing them of theft. The two men were nonetheless released while Elfassi was placed in custody on a charge of violating the confidentiality of a judicial investigation. The police also ordered Elfassi to surrender a cassette and two memory cards containing the photos he had taken of the reenactment. He refused to comply on the grounds that this was a violation of press freedom. His material was then taken and placed under judicial seal.Elfassi told Reporters Without Borders he was not informed that he had been formally taken into custody until he was allowed to leave the police station at 11:40 pm. He was not able to make a phone call or be examined by a doctor, although he was injured. He also said he was not given anything to drink or eat until he was released.After being released, he was able to contact friends who came to get him and took him to a hospital where he was examined. A medical report said he had an injury to the head, neck pains and abrasions to the right arm. The next day he filed a complaint with the police internal investigations department, accusing the Pantin police of “abuse of authority” and “arbitrary detention.”Elfassi told Reporters Without Borders he was shocked by the evident complicity between his two assailants and the four police officers involved (one in uniform and three in plain clothes). He said his two assailants offered to replace the material they had damaged during the attempted theft with other stolen material. They also said they would wait for him and would be “always behind him.” All these comments were made in the presence of police officers, who did not react.Later, while the police officer questioning them was briefly absent, they also requested money from Elfassi in exchange for the photos taken during the reenactment. Elfassi also pointed out that the police officers seemed to know the two men, talking to them about football matches they had played together in the past and about future matches.Reporters Without Borders tried without success to talk to the police officers who arrested Elfassi. The only response it got from an officer at the Pantin police station was: “I have orders and I cannot give you an answer.” July 13, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Photographer taking pictures of murder reenactment is physically attacked then arrested on charge of violating judicial confidentiality May 10, 2021 Find out more RSF denounces Total’s retaliation against Le Monde for Myanmar story “Every aspect of this case is shocking. Elfassi was just doing his job at the scene of the reenactment of a murder which many people were able to attend. After being physically attacked by two people, he was taken into police custody while his assailants were released”, Reporters without borders said. “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says
Where is Dusty Baker today? The 64-year old former Reds manager is living in California, and for the first time in many years is out of baseball. He came into the National League in 1967 and for 45 of the next 47 years he was connected in one way or another with baseball. He started out as a player with the Dodgers and ended when he was fired by the Cincinnati Reds after last season.When asked by a reporter recently, Baker stated “I guess I take a break from baseball every 20 years or so.” He still wants to get back into baseball, and it is a good bet that if someone is fired during this season he will be one of the leading candidates to replace that manager. In the meantime, he is working in the online computer field. He turned down a few opportunities to appear on shows like MLB Today and ESPN.The company he is working for is called Legacy Harbor. I tried to find out just what this online business does, but the only thing I found is that they try to help community organizations recruit members to help inner city projects. Baker is very personable, and I suppose in areas like Oakland where Baker has spent a lot of time, he would appeal to those inner city youth groups. It is a good bet that Dusty will get back into baseball before very long.
Published on March 18, 2016 at 8:51 pm Contact Matt: [email protected] Syracuse head coach Chris Fox has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference men’s indoor track coach of the year. The award comes after Fox was already named the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association national coach of the year for cross country. The USTFCCCA also named Fox Northeast Region Coach of the year for both cross country and indoor track.Fox led the Orange to its first ACC indoor championship and its first indoor conference championship since 1992. In the fall, Fox’s men’s cross country squad won the NCAA championship.Fox’s squad sent a program-record six runners to the indoor national championships and four runners — Freddie Crittenden III, Justyn Knight, Colin Bennie and Adam Palamar — were named First-Team All-Americans. Syracuse has set records for nationally qualifying athletes in the past two outdoor seasons and now this past indoor season. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+