Saving unplanted soybean seed for next year

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Due to wet weather, a few farmers in northwest Ohio have not yet planted soybean.  Can this soybean seed be saved and planted next year?1.)  Check with your seed dealer.  Your seed dealer may have options available to return seed.  Check with your seed dealer to see what your options are.2.)  Store seed in a climate and humidity controlled environment.  High temperature and relative humidity increases the rate of seed deterioration.  Iowa State University researchers found when soybean seed was stored in a non-climate controlled warehouse (temperature ranging 18-82°F and relative humidity ranging 37-74%), the seed did not maintain adequate quality.  Seed that was put into controlled cold storage (50-52°F and 53-67% relative humidity) or warm storage (77-79°F and 20-42% relative humidity) resulted in seed that could be safely held for the next season’s planting.3.)  Test seed quality before planting.  If seed is to be saved for next year’s planting,make sure to test the seed quality before planting.  At minimum, the warm germination test is needed to adjust seeding rate.  (The warm germination test is used to determine under optimum conditions the percentage of seed able to germinate in a given lot.)  Other indicators of quality include the cold germination test (stress test which simulates cold, wet conditions as an indicator of seed vigor) and the accelerated aging test (relative vigor level of the seed).  All three tests are available through the Ohio Seed Improvement Association (http://ohseed1.org/).last_img read more

Unnao rape survivor critical, on life support system: AIIMS

first_imgThe Unnao rape survivor, who sustained serious injuries in a collision and was flown to Delhi’s AIIMS Trauma Centre on Monday night, remained critically ill, hospital authorities said on Tuesday.“The patient was shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre from KGMC Lucknow on August 5 at night,” AIIMS said in a statement. “She is sick, on life support systems, needing medication to support her blood pressure. The patient remains critical and is undergoing treatment under a multi-disciplinary team of doctors.”The survivor’s lawyer, who was also shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre on Tuesday morning, also remained critical. Mahendra Singh, the Unnao rape victim’s lawyer, “has severe traumatic injury and has multiple fractures. Presently, he is critical, unconscious and on advanced life support,’’ hospital authorities said.Delhi Traffic Police had created a green corridor on Monday to shift the rape survivor from the Indira Gandhi International Airport to the Trauma Centre, covering a distance of about 14 km in 18 minutes.The rape survivor suffered critical injuries when a speeding truck collided with a car she was travelling in, near Rae Bareilly last week. She was flown to Delhi on the Supreme Court’s direction.last_img read more

Get upto 2.12 lakh at Indian Navy: Hiring for over 100 posts to begin soon @ joinindiannavy.gov.in, check details here

first_imgThe Indian Navy has invited all the interested, eligible candidates for grant of permanent commission in Executive Branch Naval Armament Inspectorate Cadre and Short Service Commission (SSC) in Executive Branch (General Service/Hydro) and Technical Branch (General Service) in the Indian Navy for January 2020 course conducted at Indian Naval Academy (INA) Ezhimala, Kerala.The recruitment process for the same will begin from January 12 and will continue till February 1.Indian Navy Recruitment 2019: Vacancy detailsTotal posts: 102Indian Navy Recruitment 2019: Name of the postNaval Armament Inspection Cadre (NAIC): 12General Service (GS): 27Hydrography Cadre: 3Engineering Branch: 28Electrical Branch: 32Indian Navy Recruitment 2019: Educational qualificationAll the candidates who have passed engineering degree or are in the final year of engineering course in any of the under mentioned disciplines from an AICTE recognised educational institute with 60 per cent marks till 5th/7th semester in regular/integrated course respectively.Call up for SSB: Candidates will be issued Call Up for Service Selection Board (SSB) interview based on their academic performance till 5th/7th semester for all eligible regular/integrated course respectively.Minimum percentage on Joining INA: The candidates will, however be required to pass final examination (BE/BTech) with minimum 60 per cent before joining INA. The candidates failing to meet minimum cut off percentage will not be permitted to join INA Ezhimala.For more details on all the posts, candidates can check the official notification here.Indian Navy Recruitment 2019: Age limitAll the candidates Born between 2 January 1995 and 01 July 2000 (both dates inclusive) are eligible to apply.advertisementIndian Navy Recruitment 2019: Here’s how to applyAll the candidates need to apply online on the official website, joinindiannavy.gov.inNote: Candidates can also call on Toll-Free number 1800-419-2929 and press Option 7 to speak to a customer care representative from Monday-Sunday between 0800-2000 hrs.Indian Navy Recruitment 2019: Salary structureLieutenant Commander (Lt Cdr) Level 11: Between Rs 69,400 to Rs 1, 36,900Commander (Cdr): Level 12A: Between Rs 1, 21,200 to Rs 2, 12,400Sub Lieutenant (SLT): Level 10: Between Rs 56,100 to Rs 1, 10,700Lieutenant (LT): Level 10B: Between Rs 61,300 to Rs 1, 20,900.Privileges: In addition to CTC, Navy provides entitled medical facilities, Leave Travel Concession (LTC), Rail concession and Canteen Facilities for self and dependents, Mess/Club/Sports facilities, Furnished Govt. Accommodation as well as Car/Housing Loan at subsidised rates.Group insurance and gratuity:A basic insurance cover of Rs 1 crore (on contribution) and gratuity will be granted to an officer as per the extant rules in force.Selection procedure:The IHQ of MoD reserves the right to shortlist applications and to fix cut off percentage without assigning any reasonNo communication will be entertained on this account. SSB interviews for shortlisted candidates will be scheduled at Bangalore/Bhopal/Coimbatore/Visakhapatnam/ Kolkata during Apr 19-Jul19. Shortlisted candidates will be informed about their selection for SSB interview on their e-mail or through SMS (provided by candidates in their application form)The SSB interview will be conducted in two Stages. Stage I test consisting of Intelligence Test, Picture Perception and Discussion test will be conducted on the first day of arrival at SSB. Candidates who fail to qualify in Stage I will be routed back on the same dayStage II tests comprising of Psychological testing, Group testing and Interview will last for 04 days. Successful candidates will thereafter undergo Medical Examination (approx duration 03-05 days).(c) Candidates recommended by the SSB and declared medically fit will be appointed for training as per all India merit of SSB marks depending on the number of vacancies.Indian Navy Recruitment 2019: Important datesStart of application process: January 12Last date to apply: February 1Direct link: Click here to check the official notification.Read: NVS Recruitment 2019: 251 teaching & non-teaching posts in Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti, apply nowlast_img read more

10 months agoWolves captain Conor Coady: Stop talking about Europe

first_imgWolves captain Conor Coady: Stop talking about Europeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves captain Conor Coady insists there’s no room for Europe talk.They go to rock-bottom Fulham on Boxing Day having dropped to 10th after Friday’s 2-0 defeat to Liverpool – but they are still just four points off sixth.“We’ve gone from being in the Championship and people are talking about Europe,” said Coady.“We need to make sure we’re level-headed. We want to make sure we look at it game by game.“It (European talk) just doesn’t happen, all the lads will tell you nothing like that has been said in the changing room.“We haven’t looked too much at the league, you can move so much if you win, lose or draw. We’re the same as the boss, we don’t look too much into that. We’ve started the season alright, we’re where we wanted to be, we wanted to keep momentum going from last season.“Up to now it’s been okay but you look at games like Friday, we want to win games. It doesn’t matter if it’s Liverpool or Fulham.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

15 hours agoChelsea hero Nevin tells Lampard: Don’t spend big after transfer ban

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Chelsea hero Nevin tells Lampard: Don’t spend big after transfer banby Freddie Taylor15 hours agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea hero Pat Nevin has urged the club not to spend big after their transfer ban concludes.The Blues are currently a six-match winning run thanks in large part to their flourishing contingent of academy graduates.Those youngsters have benefitted from Chelsea’s inability to buy any players until next summer, and Nevin thinks the club must resist ruining their development.He wrote on the club’s website: “Our young side have just deservedly beaten Ajax, the best young side in Europe, at their own ground and it was no fluke, Chelsea were the better team.”If we do the double over them on 5 November, does that then make us the best young side in Europe? If it does, then should Frank take a chance on ruining that progress with a bunch of new signings?”Why for example would you even consider buying, say, another centre-forward when Tammy Abraham has been superb and is absolutely definitely going to get even better? Well there could be a dip in form or an injury, or indeed he might just need a rest at some point.”We have got other strikers already on the roster. Michy’s goals-to-minutes-played figures are off the scale again this season for club and country, but what club or indeed manager would turn down a world-class player if he suddenly became available?”I hadn’t considered it at all this season, because with Chelsea lying fourth in the Premier League, who cares about next season right at this moment? Well the club has to, Frank has to and doing things at the last moment on a whim is generally not considered the best way to bring long-term success to any club. So forward planning is a given.”I suspect there will be a bit of a war chest available to Frank by the summertime, but unlike other clubs around us, such as Manchester United and maybe even Spurs, it doesn’t look like a whole new outfit is needed, just a few little jewels added to make the whole thing sparkle even more.”I wouldn’t be surprised however if the club takes precisely the opposite approach to previous seasons when these acquisitions are considered.”During the ‘Roman era’, how many world-class strikers of a certain age have come to the Bridge with, it has to be a said, varying levels of success? I almost can’t imagine Frank doing that, but I can imagine the scouts being sent out around the planet to find the next hot young thing who would fit into, or more likely grow into, this group and this system.” last_img read more

4-Star QB Recruit Dwayne Haskins Posts Meme Taking Shot At Big Ten, Along With Notre Dame Hashtag

first_imgDwayne Haskins throwing a pass against Michigan.ANN ARBOR, MI – NOVEMBER 25: Dwayne Haskins #7 of the Ohio State Buckeyes looks to throw a pass in the second half against the Michigan Wolverines on November 25, 2017 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)Four-star quarterback Dwayne Haskins is one of the most highly-coveted uncommitted passers in the class of 2016, and there isn’t a lot of clarity when it comes to the schools that he favors. Haskins, who has offers from most prominent programs, has recently visited his home state Maryland Terrapins as well as Rutgers, and has offers from Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin. None of that kept him from posting a Lion King meme, taking a shot at the Big Ten conference. His tweet also includes a curious Notre Dame hashtag. We’re not sure if he was sent the meme or if he made it himself, or what this says about the schools involved in his recruitment, but it is certainly interesting.#WeAreND pic.twitter.com/maYW9ofCiD— •Ⓜ️ay 3rd• Glo Day (@dh_simba7) May 4, 2015We wouldn’t read too much into this for now, but that probably won’t prevent recruitniks from over-analyzing it. In all likelihood, this was just a harmless joke sent in from a Notre Dame fan somewhere.last_img read more

Video: LSU Students Appeared To Direct A NSFW Chant At Oklahoma’s Buddy Hield

first_imgLSU students appear to direct NSFW chant at Buddy Hield.Buddy Hield ChantIt’s halftime in Baton Rouge, and LSU is halfway to pulling an upset over No. 1 Oklahoma. The Tigers are leading the Sooners 44-36 at intermission. Late in the first half, the LSU student section began taunting Oklahoma star Buddy Hield as he prepared to shoot a free throw. In and of itself, this certainly isn’t newsworthy, but when you take into account what they appeared to chant, it is.Listen closely, and you can hear what sounds like “F— you, Buddy” coming from the student section.  LSU students with a not so family-friendly chant to Buddy Hield. (NSFW) https://t.co/r2nXpvSqoH— Joe Buettner (@Joe_Buettner) January 30, 2016It certainly sounds like what we think it is. You can bet the LSU administration isn’t happy about this.last_img

Fire department did not respond to deadly fire because FN 3 months

first_imgJorge Barrera APTN National NewsThe Loon Lake volunteer fire department did not respond to a deadly house fire Tuesday on a neighbouring First Nation because the band council was three months behind on its fire bill, according to documents obtained by APTN National News.Loon Lake’s fire chief said he received an automated call about the fire Tuesday morning, but didn’t respond because the band had allegedly cancelled their contract with the Loon Lake municipality.Makwa Sahgaiehcan Chief Richard Ben said he thought the band was paying for firefighting.Local RCMP officers were the first responders at the scene of the fire on the Makwa Sahgaiehcan First Nation which left two young children dead.RCMP officers watched the children’s biological father bring his two-year-old boy and 18-month-old daughter out of the burning home. The two children were pronounced dead at the scene and their grandmother, who was also in the house, was taken to hospital, treated and later released.Documents obtained by APTN National News show the First Nation had a fee-for-service arrangement with the Loon Lake volunteer fire department. The fire department did not respond to the fire because the band was three months behind on their fire bill, according to a letter sent to the band by the Village of Loon Lake. The band was sent the letter on Jan. 30 and it was written by the village administrator.“The band is now well over three months behind on payments for their fire bills,” said the letter from village administrator Laurie Lehoux, who is also the fire department’s bookkeeper. “The Loon Lake Fire Department will not be responding to any fires on the First Nations until this account is paid in full.”The band had entered into a fee-for-service agreement with Loon Lake on Jan. 24, 2013. A clause in the agreement stated that the band wouldn’t receive fire services if it failed to pay its fire bills within 30 days.The band cancelled its retainer agreement for services with Loon Lake in October 2012.The tragedy hit the floor of the House of Commons Wednesday during question period. NDP Aboriginal affairs critic Niki Ashton asked Aboriginal Affairs Minister Bernard Valcourt why people on reserves were 10 times more likely to die in a fire than in other communities.“How could this happen?” said Ashton.Valcourt accused Ashton of trying to “score political points from the death of children.” Valcourt said his department was funding fire safety “education and awareness” on [email protected]@JorgeBarrera-with files from The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Magic Johnson Praises LaVar Ball for Being Involved with

Magic Johnson said the Lakers are due to meet with Lonzo Ball in a couple of weeks. (David Alex Films/Vimeo)Magic Johnson thinks LaVar Ball has something in common with Kris Jenner and, no, that’s not a diss to the outspoken basketball dad.Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers’ president of basketball operations, addressed reports that the Lakers are interested in Ball’s son, Lonzo, a former guard at UCLA. Johnson said the team will be scheduling an interview with him in a couple of weeks and he isn’t worried about LaVar Ball being a distraction.“I don’t look at any parent, when it comes to a professional league, that will be a problem,” Johnson said to “Best of ESPNLA.” “We’ve always had parents who love their sons or daughters who play in professional golf or basketball, whatever, who are getting involved and get excited and also who think their child is the best. …“I have no problem with LaVar.”He likened LaVar Ball to Kardashian matriarch Kris Jenner, who launched her family into reality TV stardom with the reality series “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” after the leak of her daughter Kim Kardashian’s sex tape.“The Kardashians, we didn’t say that the mom was bad and she made them a lot of money, right?” Johnson said. “She’s bragged on her daughters. And I think it’s the same here. He’s just saying, ‘Hey, my son is great.’ It’s nothing bad with that. [The Lakers are] not looking at LaVar being a problem if we’re blessed to have an opportunity to draft Lonzo.”Johnson applauded LaVar Ball for being involved in the lives of his sons, LiAngelo, LaMelo and Lonzo.“I’m happy that a father goes around and says great things about his son[s],” he said. “It seems like it hasn’t bothered Lonzo, so that’s what we really have to look at. This young man has been a champion in high school and then he’s gone on to have a stellar career at UCLA and his father was talking at that time, but it didn’t bother him.“So, as long as it doesn’t bother him, it’s not gonna bother the Lakers organization as long as Lonzo performs on the basketball court, right?” read more