A new Oxford University ski trip is hoping to attract students this year. ‘The New Snow Trip’ was originally only open to New College, before extending to Magdalen in 2011 and St Hilda’s in 2012. Now the trip is open to all Oxford University students.The trip will take place on the 15th-23rd March 2013 in Val D’Isere.The base price for the trip is £359, which includes 6 days accommodation, a lift pass, travel and several extras. Trip organisers managed to get a low price because of New College’s relationship with the tour operator ‘Off the Piste’, which they have used for the last 3 years. Events such as a Toboggan Evening and BBQ, a Race Day, a fancy dress day, and an event at Folie Douce are planned.Organisers are promoting the trip as a smaller, more friendly trip than Varsity, with a good social vibe, better weather, better snow, and better skiing at Easter. They also promote it on the grounds of its lack of Cambridge students. Last year the trip’s mcuh smaller capacity of 96 people was reached, but it is hoped that this year many more people will take part.Chiara Quadranti, the President of The New Snow Trip, said, “Not all colleges have their own ski trip so this gives a chance for anyone to go skiing, if they missed out on Varsity or if Varsity is not for them.“We want to provide students with a fresh alternative. While Varsity is huge, quasi-corporate and intimidating (to some) we want to propose another option: something a bit different, more likeable, more personal.“We want to set up something that could appeal to the same audience, i.e. the whole of Oxford, but with a very different vibe.”Harry Browne, a St Hilda’s student who went on the trip two years ago, said, “The atmosphere is different from Varsity because it’s smaller and you know everyone. But it’s still lash on the mountains.”Matthew Kain, from New College, went last year, said, “Better snow, no dirty Tabs, same lash – should appeal for people who actually want to go skiing rather than watching some crap like Ms Dynamite.”Midori Takenaka, a rep from Corpus Christi, told Cherwell, “The New Snow Trip is definitely not trying to compete with Varsity. The organising team are all students, and so the trip has been designed in a very student-friendly way. We are confident that the trip will prove to be a success, as it has been in previous years.” Last year the Varsity trip sold out within 8 hours, and 3,200 students attended. However, this year tickets did not sell out.Varsity President Simon Bushell told Cherwell, “The Varsity Trip is run on a not-for-profit basis entirely by student volunteers who aim to put on the best week possible for the participants of Varsity Trip, and we always strive to improve on last year’s trip. With six years of trips of over 1000 people, and over 90 years since the first Varsity Trip, we certainly have a lot of history to build on.‘As with the much improved booking system, we are working hard to respond to all of the feedback we had from last year’s trip, and this experience is one of the advantages of going on Varsity Trip.“One of the reasons Varsity Trip is so enjoyable is that it combines an intimate skiing experience with friends, with most participants sharing rooms or corridors with people from the same college, while giving an amazing opportunity to meet new people!”
IndianaLocalNews Twitter By Brooklyne Beatty – July 24, 2020 0 699 Pinterest Facebook Man paralyzed after crash in Elkhart Friday Pinterest TAGSCounty Road 22County Road 28crashElkhartIndianaparalyzed Facebook Google+ Twitter (95.3 MNC) A man has been paralyzed from the waist down after a crash in Elkhart County.The crash happened early Friday morning, just past 1:30, on County Road 22 south of County Road 28.Police report a Chevrolet Impala was traveling northbound when it went off the roadway, lost control and rolled into a field, ejecting the driver.The driver was airlifted to a local hospital. In addition to being paralyzed, he’s potentially facing additional injuries.No other vehicles were involved in the crash. WhatsApp Google+ WhatsApp Previous articleVice President Mike Pence to return to Indiana on FridayNext articleFood Bank of Northern Indiana releases mobile food distribution schedule, July 27-30 Brooklyne Beatty
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A red light camera opponent who has been burned by the unpopular devices in the past was arrested Tuesday after police uncovered video of him allegedly tampering with cameras along the Long Island Expressway service road in Ronkonkoma—a form of vandalism that has some on social media hailing the man as a hero.Suffolk County police arrested 42-year-old Stephen Ruth at his Centereach home on charges of criminal tampering and obstruction of governmental administration. He was released on bail and his initial court date is set for Oct. 27, according to a post on his Facebook page.Police said they learned of the tampering after the Sixth Precinct received anonymous tips regarding a social media video showing Ruth allegedly using an expandable pole to aim the cameras toward the sky, therefore preventing the devices from capturing vehicles running red lights or failing to stop long enough before making a right turn.Ruth allegedly tampered with a camera located on Ocean Avenue and the Long Island Expressway South Service Road on Aug. 21 and again on Aug. 24, police said. He also adjusted cameras on Hawkins Avenue, along the LIE South Service Road on Tuesday afternoon, police said.Ruth, who is all smiles in his mug shot, explained his actions in an unapologetic Facebook post written after his release.“To all the people thinking ‘why would he do that? Didn’t he think he was going to get arrested?’ Of course I knew I would be arrested,” Ruth wrote. “I did it for the people who come back from war and get abused by these cameras. I did it because senior citizens are getting these, the same ones that went to war for us. These same seniors live in New York’s high cost environment and are being forced out of New York because of its high taxes.“I also did it because every vehicle that you see with an out of state license plate is not receiving these tickets regardless of who they are,” he continued. “These same people live in our state and pay lower insurance rates because their cars are registered out of state under someone else’s name.”However, drivers of vehicles with out-of-state plates do receive red light camera tickets mailed home when they’re caught blowing lights on Long Island.In a shaky self-shot how-to YouTube video, Ruth, wearing a white collared shirt and a tie, explains how simple it is to “take the power back” and save “innocent people a lot of money.”“In order to do this successfully you only need a pair of balls and a painter’s extension rod,” he said in the video. “I’m going to show you how easy it is to take the power back. It doesn’t take but more than a minute to do this, and the gratification—the gratification is huge!”He proceeds to poke at a red light camera with a pole, adjusting it upwards in order to prevent it from snapping photos of drivers’ license plates.“I just saved people about $10,000 today with this camera,” he estimated.Aside from his self-declared mission to save red-light-blowing drivers cash, it appears Ruth also had a personal grudge against one of the cameras.“This camera has gotten me numerous times for not waiting three seconds,” he says, apparently referring to the amount of time a driver is mandated to wait before making a legal right turn when stopped at a red light. “Who’s to say that I need to wait three seconds after I clearly see that there’s no one coming in my direction? This is government taking advantage—and it’s gonna stop!”Ruth’s anti-red light camera rant and actions have some on social media commending him for taking matters into his own hands.“This guy is my hero,” one YouTube user wrote in the comment section under the video.“Red light revolution,” declares another.But not everyone came to Ruth’s defense. One YouTube user chided Ruth for complaining about waiting three seconds before turning and said the authorities were correct to arrest him.Red light cameras have been a source of aggravation for Long Islanders since their initial rollout in Nassau County in 2009 and in Suffolk County in the summer of 2010.Opponents charge that the cameras exist only to make money off of unsuspecting drivers. Government officials who support the initiative say the cameras prevent crashes by forcing drivers to hit the brakes when a traffic light turns yellow.
The head of San Francisco Public Works, which is in charge of cleaning up the city’s feces-filled streets, has been arrested by the FBI on suspicion of public corruption.San Francisco Public Works Director Mohammed Nuru was arrested this week alongside Nick Bovis, the owner of a popular sports bar in Fisherman’s Wharf, Lefty O-Doul’s. Sources told NBC Bay Area that Nuru was arrested on suspicion of accepting bribes for airport concession contracts. The schemes involved an envelope of cash, fraudulent city contracts, improper gifts from a Chinese developer and a $2,000 bottle of wine, according to authorities.“Mr Clean may not be so clean” according to the FBI and four mayors allegedly ignored bright red flags about his performance for decades.In the early 2000s, Nuru was accused by Public Works whistle blowers of misappropriating public funds and replacing city workers with employees from a nonprofit he previously led.Both Nuru and Bovis were released on bond following their arrest.As the top official in charge of the $312 million city public works budget since 2012, Nuru was tasked with cleaning up San Francisco streets, which critics note remain cluttered with feces, trash and used needles amid a homelessness crisis.