Detained independent journalists get Soviet-style psychiatric treatment

first_img New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council Help by sharing this information Uzbek blogger facing possible 10-year jail term News October 15, 2020 Find out more RSF_en Reporters Without Borders today condemned the continuing persecution of Uzbekistan’s independent journalists after Ulugbek Khaidarov’s family told Radio Free Europe he has been mistreated in prison and it emerged that Djamshid Karimov, President Islam Karimov’s nephew, has been forcibly committed to a psychiatric hospital.“These are practices worthy of the Soviet era, when people were treated as mentally ill when all they did was voice their disagreement with the official line,” the press freedom organisation said. “We call on the Uzbek authorities to release these two journalists at once and let them work freely.”Karimov went missing on 12 September. His friends finally discovered that he had been committed without any explanation to a psychiatric hospital in Samarkand. His wife Nargiza has not been allowed to visit him there.Khaidarov was arrested on a clearly trumped-up charge on 14 September. When his wife Munira was finally allowed to see him she was shocked by his state of health. She said her husband was under the influence of psychotropic drugs and had lost a lot of weight. Receive email alerts May 11, 2021 Find out more Organisation Newscenter_img UzbekistanEurope – Central Asia More than six years in prison for Uzbek blogger who covered corruption Follow the news on Uzbekistan to go further October 2, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Detained independent journalists get Soviet-style psychiatric treatment February 11, 2021 Find out more News UzbekistanEurope – Central Asia Newslast_img read more

Audio: Call and Response: How Can This Be?

first_img Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Sermons and Lessons Audio: Call and Response: How Can This Be? Delivered by REV. DR. GARY DEMAREST Published on Wednesday, June 8, 2016 | 11:17 am EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Subscribe Make a comment Community News More Cool Stuff Business News Herbeauty6 Trends To Look Like A Bombshell And 6 To Forget AboutHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyThe Most Heartwarming Moments Between Father And DaughterHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty7 Reasons Why The Lost Kilos Are Regained AgainHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyPretty Or Not: 5 Things You Didn’t Know About BeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty5 Things To Avoid If You Want To Have Whiter TeethHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyShort On Time? 10-Minute Workouts Are Just What You NeedHerbeautyHerbeauty faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimescenter_img 12 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena Community News First Heatwave Expected Next Week Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Top of the News This sermon was delivered by Rev. Dr. Gary Demarest, Interim Pastor, Knox Presbyterian Church on Sunday, June 5, 2016. Gary served for more than two decades as senior minister at La Canada Presbyterian Church, and then went on to serve as the director of evangelism for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) General Assembly. Since that time, he has served as an interim pastor at a hose of churches, including nearby La Verne Heights Presbyterian. He is active in the Presbytery of San Gabriel, and has provided gracious support for Knox during a recent staff search process.Knox Presbyterian Church, 225 South Hill Avenue, Pasadena, (626) 449-2144 or visit knoxpasadena.org. Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m.last_img read more

Thomas Ruttle is laid to rest

first_imgMinister Patrick O’ Donovan announces opening of Limerick heritage site to the public for the first time Email Advertisement No vaccines in Limerick yet Shannondoc operating but only by appointment TAGSAskeatonfeaturedfraudsterfuneralJulia HolmesRuttlethomas ruttle WhatsApp Linkedin Previous articleLimerick city mayor ends term in office on a highNext articleOwner of pet savaged by pitbull ‘in shock’ after attack Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Printcenter_img Twitter by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THOMAS Ruttle who was found dead at his home at Booliglass, Askeaton alongside his partner on May 18, was laid to rest this Wednesday amid calls to leave blame and anger behind given the strange and “incomprehensible events that led to his death.”Reverend Keith Scott made his remarks during the Church of Ireland remembrance service for the 56-year-old farmer and beekeeper whose decomposing body was found beside that of the woman who was subsequently identified as international conwoman Julia McKitterrick.The 63-year-old woman who was known locally as Julia Holmes went by up to 40 different aliases during her life of fraud and deceit throughout a worldwide set of scams embezzling money and amounting debts.The pair were found by burglars who thought the roadside farmyard had been abandoned after Ms Holmes was identified as a serial fraudster with over 20 previous convictions for fraud in the US and Northern Ireland.Despite her wish to be buried with Mr Ruttle in the family plot at St. Mary’s Church of Ireland cemetery, her remains are still at the Limerick city morgue and likely to be cremated later this week.Although the results of toxicology tests carried out during post mortem are expected to take a further two weeks, Gardaí have said that the pair died from carbon monoxide poisoning some weeks before their remains were found.Rev Scott told mourners at Wednesday’s remembrance service that their sense of grief was not made any easier because of the strangeness of the events which lead up to Thomas Ruttle’s death.He said that the circumstances surrounding the tragic discovery two weeks ago was “made all the more intense because of the uncertainty and the long wait that had to be endured by the almost incomprehensible events surrounding Thomas’ death.“We come too, to lay Thomas to rest, not only to lay his body in this graveyard but to lay him to rest in our hearts and minds.“There is a sense that somehow we have failed. That somehow there was something we should have said or done, something we missed, or something that we wish we could now take back, that we did or said which we should not have done or said. Hindsight, they say, is 20/20 vision. Afterwards we see clearly, and then comes the blame, contempt and anger, the deep regret for things done or left undone, words said or left unsaid.”Reverend Scott urged that words unsaid should “remain unsaid” adding that “today is not a day for blame or anger,” and that mourners should “let grief be a grief without bitterness, or blame. Carrying all that was unfinished away from here today will drag us into darkness and become a burden which will hamper us and all that we do for the rest of our lives.”He added that the congregation was “touched by the awful sadness of Thomas’ death, burdened by grief, regret and the strange, even incomprehensible, and painful nature of the story of the events which eventually led to his death”.During the service, a spokesperson on behalf of Mr Ruttle’s two sons paid tribute to a loving father who was devoted to his children.In an address before burial, the congregation heard how Mr Ruttle’s two sons loved visiting their father and going on trips with him.Before he was laid to rest in the adjoining cemetery, Reverend Scott said that he first came to know Thomas Ruttle when he helped carry out repairs at St Mary’s Church a number of years ago, remarking that the late 56-year-old was good with his hands as well as being a dedicated beekeeper. Facebook Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Askeaton/ Ballysteen bring Easter joy to local community NewsThomas Ruttle is laid to restBy Staff Reporter – June 3, 2015 819 First Irish death from Coronaviruslast_img read more

Want to really honor military sacrifices? Don’t just stand. Vote!

first_imgIt has been for people who long yearned in vain for that right.Recall that first election in Iraq where so many more than 27 percent willingly risked being killed or maimed by standing in line in a war zone for hours in scorching heat just to cast their vote. Even here in 1953, when the carnage and sacrifices of the Second World War were still fresh in everyone’s mind, nationwide turnout was 93 percent.It seems we’ve forgotten something in the intervening years.Is not the act of voting the core representation of our values and principles — the central responsibility of citizenship and linchpin in our democratic system?  For those who perceive an affront by anyone failing to stand for the national anthem, isn’t failing to vote an even greater demonstration of dishonor and disrespect? Doesn’t that failure tangibly threaten to render the sacrifices of our military, past and present, meaningless?  Put bluntly, our collective shrug over the right to vote makes standing for the anthem pretty much an empty gesture.In overstressing a reflexive, subjective and somewhat self-righteous “test” of patriotism, we are effectively deflecting from more consequential citizen inattentions and inactions that more forcefully suggest dishonor and disrespect.In spite of all the self-serving excuses, no ballot really lacks import. Categories: Editorial, OpinionOn Tuesday, Nov. 7, we are having what is called an “off year election.”This is intended merely to describe the fact that none of the major federal or state offices are the subjects of this year’s vote.  However, it also seems to imply that such elections are of lesser importance.This is a dangerous notion in a country where “turnout” — the percentage of eligible voters who actually cast a ballot — already is notoriously low in every election.It has become commonplace to rationalize this failure. “We call these local years ‘off years’ for a reason,” said a Schenectady County election commissioner four years ago explaining a paltry 27 percent turnout figure. “People have to have a reason to vote.”  How about because so many brave people have served and died and still are — volunteering in distant lands, far from the comforts of home — to preserve and defend our right to do so in ours? Shouldn’t that be a good enough reason?   First of all, these “off years” are when elections for local officials take place — as they are throughout the Capital Region — determining who will influence most directly our communities and day-to-day welfare.  This year in Saratoga Springs, for example, in addition to electing a mayor and City Council, the key ballot concerns the actual system by which the city will be governed going forward.Important statewide ballot questions also regularly turn up in off-year elections. What is being asked statewiden this year is whether we should spend tens of millions of dollars to examine and redesign the state constitution. We’re also deciding on two amendments to that constitution separate from the convention question.So, on Tuesday, Nov. 7, put aside the weak complaints, self-righteous justifications, minor sacrifices and inconveniences — and vote!Use the gift protected and preserved at noble cost for you.  Don’t just stand, salute and sing about it.John Figliozzi is a regular contributor to the Sunday Opinion section.More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristslast_img read more

Gas distributor PGN looks to tap into petrochemical industry

first_imgIndonesia consumed 7.6 million tons of LPG last year, 74 percent of which was imported, according to Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry data.Indonesia’s main strategy to cut LPG imports is by expanding its household gas pipe network (jargas), which channels domestically produced natural gas. However, the network’s reach is still very limited. Even certain neighborhoods in Jakarta, the nation’s capital, are unable to access the network.Instead, over 60 percent of Indonesian villages rely on LPG as a staple cooking fuel, which is sold in green, pink and blue canisters, BPS 2018 data show.Demand for biodiesel is also expected to rise in Indonesia over the coming years alongside the growing demand for commercial transportation and the government’s continual escalation of its palm oil-mixed biodiesel program.Fajriyah Usman, the spokeswoman for Pertamina, which is PGN and KPI’s parent company, said PGN’s petrochemical plan was still at an early planning phase.“But Pertamina is prioritizing this plan to immediately reduce LPG and fuel imports,” she told The Jakarta Post.However, an industry expert pointed out that current economic conditions were not ideal for PGN to start producing such petrochemicals as crude oil prices were at record lows amid the ongoing health crisis.“With COVID-19 going on, the timing is not ideal,” said Fajar Budiono, secretary general of the Indonesian Olefin, Aromatic and Plastic Industry Association (Inaplas).He estimated that the facility’s engineering process alone would take at least 3.5 years. Assuming PGN completed its feasibility study this year, the facility would only be operational by 2025, at the earliest.“Hopefully, methanol and DME prices will improve by then,” he said.Topics : National gas distributor PT PGN plans to diversify into petrochemical production over the coming years to help reduce Indonesia’s reliance on imported fossil fuels.PGN expects to complete a feasibility study on the plan with fellow national refiner PT Kilang Pertamina Indonesia (KPI) between 2022 and 2023, said PGN president director Suko Hartono on Monday.He said the distributor wanted to convert natural gas into methanol and dimethyl ether (DME). Methanol can be used to produce biodiesel while DME can substitute liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) – a chemical derived from crude oil – to produce cooking gas. “But we will limit this to 5-10 percent, maximum 15 percent, of our portfolio. Because this is not our main business,” he told House of Representatives lawmakers in Jakarta.PGN, he noted, was looking to source gas for the project from major oil and gas projects in East Java, South Sumatra and Kalimantan.Oil and gas imports are a leading contributor to Indonesia’s trade deficit that puts pressure on the rupiah exchange rate and is thus a key vulnerability for Southeast Asia’s largest economy.Oil and gas recorded a US$9.35 billion trade deficit last year versus a $6.15 billion non-oil and gas trade surplus, Statistics Indonesia (BPS) data show. During this year’s January-May period, the commodities booked a $3.36 billion trade deficit while non-oil and gas racked up a $7.67 billion trade surplus.last_img read more

SMACKING LAW FAIL: NZ’s shocking child abuse statistics

first_imgStuff co.nz 2 June 2015A child is admitted to a New Zealand hospital every second day with injuries arising from either assault, neglect or maltreatment, research says.Nearly half of them are aged under five.The figures, which are likely under reported, are contained in a 2012 report prepared for the Ministry of Health by the NZ Child and Youth Epidemiology Service.Officials say child abuse remains a significant problem in New Zealand and a series of changes have been made to try and prevent it from occurring.They say that there is now a greater emphasis on identifying at risk families before a child is born and putting support measures in place to help them cope.However, much of the responsibility lies with the public who need to report any warning signs before they escalate.“It’s very hard for outside agencies to pick up on these things. Close family won’t even know what’s going on,” Detective Inspector Tom Fitzgerald said.“It’s about having the guts . . . to front people who aren’t coping and making sure we’re all responsible for looking after these kids.”According to the report, which was cited by Children’s Commissioner Russell Wills, 843 children aged 0-14, were admitted to hospital from 2007 to 2011 with injuries arising from either assault, neglect or maltreatment.Their injuries ranged from serious head trauma to broken legs.Wills said the statistics were likely under reported because national guidelines meant officials had to be certain of an assault before it could be recorded.Attitudes about violence towards women and children had to change, he said.http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/68936884/new-zealands-shocking-child-abuse-statistics.htmllast_img read more