California officer placed on leave after threatening teen skaters at gunpoint

first_imglzf/iStock(SAN CLEMENTE, Calif.) — A California police officer was placed on administrative leave this week after video appeared to show him threatening a group of teen skaters at gunpoint, authorities said Thursday.Cellphone footage showed the off-duty Orange County Sheriff’s Department deputy pointing a handgun while visiting a skate park in San Clemente after a teen raised his skateboard at him. Witnesses said the confrontation began on Saturday night when the plain-clothes officer approached the teens and ordered them stop playing loud music.Things escalated when the officer appeared to grab the teen’s hand. The teen is seen pulling his hand away and begins to back away while raising his skateboard.That’s when the man pulled a small handgun out of his pocket, prompting the teen to drop his skateboard and retreat with his hands in the air.One of the teen’s parents told ABC Los Angeles station KABC-TV that the man did not immediately identify himself as a law enforcement officer. The man did appear to pull out a badge later on, although it was partially obscured by his fingers.“My friend didn’t know he was a cop. He was coming up to a friend very fast and aggressive, so my other friend jumped in and put his hand out for him to stop … the guy grabbed his hand aggressively,” a witness told CBSLA in an on-camera interview Wednesday. “My other friend held up his skateboard for him to stop, then the guy pulled a gun and said ‘I’ll shoot you in the f—ing face if you don’t stop.’”The Orange County Sheriff’s Department did not release the officer’s identity, but it confirmed he was placed administrative leave pending an internal investigation.“Orange County Sheriff’s Department employees are expected to conduct themselves with professionalism on and off-duty,” the department said in a statement. “We take this incident seriously and will fully investigate. The investigation will be turned over to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office at its conclusion.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Thousands protest in Mauritius over dead dolphins, demand resignations

first_imgThousands of protesters demonstrated in the Mauritius capital Port Louis on Saturday to demand an investigation into an oil spill from a Japanese ship and the mysterious death of at least 40 dolphins that have been found near the site of the spill.Environmentalists have called for an investigation into whether the dolphins died as a result of the spill caused when the bulk carrier, the MV Wakashio, struck a coral reef last month.One protester held a banner with a dolphin covered in oil reading “our lives matter” and another held one calling for the government to resign. Mauritian flags were waved across the packed square of St Louis Cathedral. “We do not trust the government and the diluted information they’ve been feeding us regarding the management and responses to the oil spill,” Fabiola Monty, 33 a Mauritian environmental scientist, told Reuters from the square.The government has said it will carry out autopsies on all the dead dolphins and has set up a commission to look into the oil spill. Two investigations are being carried out: one by the police on the crew’s responsibilities and one by a senior Shipping Ministry official on what happened to the ship.So far veterinarians have examined only two of the mammals’ carcasses, which bore signs of injury but no trace of oil in their bodies, according to preliminary autopsy results.The autopsy on the first two was conducted by the government-run Albion Fisheries Research Centre.Autopsy results on 25 dolphins that washed ashore Wednesday and Thursday are expected in the coming days, according to Jasvin Sok Appadu from the Fisheries Ministry.Local environmental group Eco-Sud, which took part in Saturday’s protest, said in a statement on Friday that representatives from civil society should be present during the autopsies and called for a second opinion from independent specialists. Topics :last_img read more

Tornado damages apartment building, farms in eastern Iowa

first_imgOELWEIN, Iowa (AP) – Severe storms damaged an apartment building and several farm buildings and homes in northeast Iowa Saturday night.A tornado that was spotted in Oelwein tore off part of the wall of a 12-unit apartment building and damaged the siding of a second building in the complex. Oelwein police said no serious injuries were reported.Fayette County Sheriff Marty Fisher said the storm knocked down branches and some power lines elsewhere in Oelwein and in rural parts of the county.Residents of the apartment complex whose homes were damaged sought shelter in a nearby hotel. Emergency crews wore surgical masks as they responded to the storm damage because of the virus.Dubuque County Emergency Management Director Tom Berger said at least six farms were damaged by a tornado near Sherrill.last_img read more