Hong Kong police fired water cannon and tear gas and arrested more than 300 people on Wednesday as protesters took to the streets in defiance of sweeping security legislation introduced by China to snuff out dissent.Beijing unveiled the details of the much-anticipated law late on Tuesday after weeks of uncertainty, pushing China’s freest city and one of the world’s most glittering financial hubs on to a more authoritarian path.As thousands of protesters gathered for an annual rally marking the anniversary of the former British colony’s handover to China in 1997, riot police used pepper spray and fired pellets as they made arrests after crowds spilled into the streets chanting “resist till the end” and “Hong Kong independence”. “I’m scared of going to jail but for justice I have to come out today, I have to stand up,” said one 35-year-old man who gave his name as Seth.Police said they had made more than 300 arrests for illegal assembly and other offences, with nine involving violations of the new law.The law punishes crimes of secession, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces with up to life in prison, will see mainland security agencies in Hong Kong for the first time and allows extradition to the mainland for trial.China’s parliament adopted the law in response to protests last year triggered by fears that Beijing was stifling the city’s freedoms, guaranteed by a “one country, two systems” formula agreed when it returned to Chinese rule. Beijing denies the accusation. Topics : Hong Kong police cited the law in confronting protesters.”You are displaying flags or banners/chanting slogans/or conducting yourselves with an intent such as secession or subversion, which may constitute offences under the … national security law,” police said in a message displayed on a purple banner.Authorities in Beijing and Hong Kong have repeatedly said the legislation is aimed at a few “troublemakers” and will not affect rights and freedoms, nor investors’ interests.’Heartbreaking’But critics fear it will end the pro-democracy opposition and crush freedoms, including an independent legal system and right to protest, that are seen as key to Hong Kong’s success as a financial centre.US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the new law was an affront to all nations and Washington would continue to implement President Donald Trump’s directive to end the territory’s special status.Britain said it would stand by its word and offer all those in Hong Kong with British National Overseas status a “bespoke” immigration route.British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab described Wednesday’s protests as heartbreaking and reprimanded HSBC and other banks for supporting the new law, saying the rights of Hong Kong should not be sacrificed for bankers’ bonuses.Britain and Canada also updated their travel advisories for Hong Kong, saying there was an increased risk of detention.A former employee of the British consulate in Hong Kong, Simon Cheng, said he had been granted political asylum by the British government after being beaten by Chinese secret police last year in mainland China during 15 days of detention.In a post on Facebook after the enactment of the national security law, he said he hoped other Hong Kong people would be offered protection by Britain.Police fired water cannon to try to disperse the protesters. A game of cat and mouse reminiscent of last year’s often violent demonstrations followed, with protesters blocking roads before running away from riot police charging with batons, only to re-emerge elsewhere.Police posted pictures on Twitter of an officer with a bleeding arm saying he was stabbed by “rioters holding sharp objects”. The suspects fled while bystanders offered no help, police said.On July 1 last year, hundreds of protesters stormed and vandalized the city’s legislature to protest against a bill that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China.Those protests evolved into anti-China demonstrations and calls for democracy, paralyzing parts of the city and paving the way for Beijing’s new law.’Birthday gift’In Beijing, Zhang Xiaoming, executive deputy director of Beijing’s Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office, told reporters suspects arrested by a new Beijing-run security office could be tried on the mainland.He said the new office abided by Chinese law and that Hong Kong’s legal system could not be expected to implement the laws of the mainland. Article 55 of the law states that Beijing’s security office in Hong Kong could exercise jurisdiction over “complex” or “serious” cases.”The law is a birthday gift to [Hong Kong] and will show its precious value in the future,” Zhang said, adding the law would not be applied retroactively.Speaking at a flag-raising ceremony to mark the handover, the city’s Beijing-backed leader, Carrie Lam, said the law was the most important development since 1997.”It is also an inevitable and prompt decision to restore stability,” Lam said at the harbor-front venue where the last colonial governor, Chris Patten, a staunch critic of the security law, tearfully handed back Hong Kong to China.Some pro-Beijing officials and political commentators say the law is aimed at sealing Hong Kong’s “second return” to the motherland after the first failed to bring residents to heel.Luo Huining, the head of Beijing’s top representative office in Hong Kong, said at the ceremony the law was a “common aspiration” of Hong Kong citizens.Some pro-democracy activists gave up membership of their groups just before the law came into force on Tuesday, though they called for the campaign to carry on from abroad.”I saw this morning there are celebrations for Hong Kong’s handover, but to me it is a funeral, a funeral for ‘one country two systems’,” said pro-democracy lawmaker Kwok Ka-ki.
Governor Wolf Applauds Senate for Passing Medical Marijuana Bill, Encourages House to Take Quick Action on Bill Medical Marijuana, Statement Harrisburg, PA – Governor Wolf released the following statement:“I want to thank the members of the Senate for their passage of the medical marijuana legalization bill and I am urging the House to take quick action in order to send this bill to my desk for a signature. It is finally time to provide long overdue medical relief to patients and families who could benefit from the legalization of medical marijuana. We should not deny doctor-recommended treatment that could help people suffering from seizures or cancer patients affected by chemotherapy.”Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf SHARE Email Facebook Twitter April 12, 2016
St. Nick comes out on top over St. Louis in 7th/8th Grade Volleyball action.St. Nicholas 7th grade defeated St. Louis in 2 sets with scores of 25-21 and 25-8. St. Nicholas got off to a slow start and had to come from a deficit to take set 1. They finally got back into their game play and took set 2 convincingly.The 8th grade match was an intense night of outstanding volleyball for St. Nicholas and St. Louis. Both teams came in “undefeated” in regular season play. St. Louis took set 1 with a score of 17-25. Once again, St. Nicholas started off slow before starting to play their usual level of play. St. Nicholas stepped up in a big way as a team to take set 2 with a score of 25-19. It came down to a nail biter in set 2, but St. Nicholas played consistently and with intensity to take set 3 by a score of 15-8. St. Nicholas also had 3 big blocks in the 8th grade match.It was another great night of volleyball for both teams! Both 7th and 8th grade St. Nick teams improve their regular season record to 8-0.Courtesy of STN Coach Debbie Gregg.
STEPHENVILLE, Texas – IMCA Modifieds now race for $1,000 to win along with a berth on the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot on opening night of 281 Speedway’s Friday and Saturday, Feb. 9 and 10 Big Chill Throwdown.The 2018 lidlifter at Stephenville boasts a $600 to win feature for the Modifieds on Saturday while IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars and IMCA Southern SportMods battle for $500 top checks each night and Mach-1 Sport Compacts race for $200 to win.IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National, regional, Allstar Performance State and track points will be awarded and both shows are draw/redraw. There is no entry fee.Pits open at 3 p.m. and the grandstand opens at 6 p.m. both nights. Racing starts at 8 p.m. Spectator admission is $15 for adults, $10 for seniors, military and students, and free for kids five and under. Pit passes are $35.More information is available on Facebook or by calling 512 636-0528.
His final act in charge was a recent tour of the United States, which ended in two defeats to Manchester City, and Chelsea have now confirmed the 53-year-old is free to join Napoli. “Chelsea Football Club has today (Tuesday) released Rafael Benitez from his contract to become the new manager of Napoli,” said a statement on www.chelseafc.com. “Rafa was appointed as the club’s interim manager last November, and steered us to automatic Champions League qualification thanks to our third-place finish in the Barclays Premier League, while also leading us to the Europa League title in Amsterdam earlier this month. “Also departing to join Napoli are first-team fitness coach Paco De Miguel and Xavi Valero, the first-team opposition analyst. “Everybody at Chelsea Football Club would like to place on record our thanks to Rafa and his staff for their work at the club, and wish them success for the future.” The Spaniard’s impending exit from Stamford Bridge had been known for some time and on Monday it was announced that he will become the new head coach of Serie A club Napoli. Benitez took over at the Blues in an interim capacity in November following the sacking of Roberto Di Matteo and, despite enduring a torrid relationship with some of the fans in west London, he guided the club to third place in the Barclays Premier League and victory in the Europa League final. Rafael Benitez’s tenure as Chelsea boss is officially over after the club announced they had released him from his contract. Press Association
“It appears that border patrol has backed off its initial plans to transport a thousand illegal immigrants to South Florida,” said Sheriff Bradshaw. “Because of everybody’s efforts, we are able to stop what appeared to be a crisis for our community.”Local officials said two weeks was the amount of time that had initially been given until migrants from the Southern border would arrive in Palm Beach and Broward counties which would’ve included 500 people to each county per month, with no deadline set for the influx to end.Mayor of Broward County Mark Bogen said he was unaware of the news and would like to get confirmation from the federal government, according to the Sun-Sentinel.Bogen recently made headlines for calling on President Trump to host migrants at his Florida hotel after learning of the possible influx.Governor DeSantis has not commented on the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s announcement as of Saturday, 3 p.m., ET.This story is developing.Related content:Broward County mayor asks Trump to house migrants at his hotels The Trump administration has halted plans to send thousands of people who entered the country illegally across the Mexican border to Broward and Palm Beach counties, Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw announced Saturday.I want to thank our community for it’s unequivocal support regarding this immigration issue in Palm Beach County. pic.twitter.com/4uAeEqys0G— Sheriff Ric Bradshaw (@RicBradshaw) May 18, 2019
The card sees the first round heats of the Champion Bitch Stake. It’ll also see the semi-finals of the Glenpadden A4/A5 525 yds stake, all as part of a 10 race card on the night.Racing will also be available to view from Curraheen Park and Shelbourne Park where the Easter Cup first rounds are the featured event.
Argentina striker Mauro Icardi was unarguably the star of the show as he netted a hattrick to help Inter Milan to a 3-2 league win over AC Milan in a very entertaining Milan Derby.Icardi had given Inter a first half lead before it was cancelled out by a 56th minute from Suso. The Argentine got his brace to edge Inter 2-1 ahead seven minutes later however AC Milan showed character to battled back again via a Samir Handanovic own goal nine minutes from time. The game then ended in dramatic fashion as Icardi got his matchball after converting a pressure penalty for Luciano Spalletti’s men on the stroke of fullttime.The win was enough to take Inter Milan into second position with 22 points from their first eight Italian Serie A games while rivals AC Milan slip further down the table into 10th position.RelatedSerie A Review: Icardi Misfires As Milan Derby Clash Ends In StalemateApril 5, 2018In “Europe”Italian Serie A Watch: Perisic Treble Propels Inter To The Summit As Rivals Milan Continue Monumental Struggle Against Lowly BeneventoDecember 4, 2017In “Europe”Italian Serie A Review: Napoli, Juventus Strengthen Title Bid With Wins As Inter Falter AgainDecember 24, 2017In “England”
Heather “Naysayerz” DowerLeicester and London based ESL UK has announced that Heather “Naysayerz” Dower is set to join the company as their Marketing and Communications Manager.Her new role has Dower oversee the promotion for ESL tournaments and initiatives in the UK, including the ESL Premiership, and support UK talent at international events such as IEM Katowice. She is set to begin her new role at the company on 14th February.Dower is a well known streamer, caster and content creator in the UK esports space. Her career has seen her operate in all areas of esports, from grassroots to professional and in the performance and production parts of the industry. She joins after working at esports TV network GINX TV, where she was working in a variety of roles from correspondent to tv show host.James Dean, managing director at ESL UK stated: “Her contribution to the industry, affiliation from grassroots to pro-level esports, and experience in marketing and communications, made Heather the outstanding candidate for the role. We’re extremely excited to have her join our team.”Dower added “I’m thrilled to join the well-oiled machine that is ESL UK. They are doing esports right, running excellent tournaments and supporting grassroots teams. I’m really excited to bridge the gap between the community and ESL and, in my new role, to help share their success stories.”Esports Insider says: This is a fantastic addition to the ESL UK team, bringing on someone well liked with a vast knowledge of the esports space. All of us at Esports Insider wish Heather well in her new role at ESL!
There’s a slight glow in the eyes of Joe Gallagher when discussing his light-heavyweight charge, Callum Johnson.Almost dragged into obscurity following injuries and the tragic passing of his father, Johnson somehow remained focused and his reward arrived last October when he was handed an unlikely world title shot against IBF ruler, Artur Beterbiev. Although unsuccessful, Johnson had a brief moment of hope when he floored the Russian monster in the second session, but he was stopped in the fourth round and his dreams were put on hold. Join DAZN and watch Canelo vs. Jacobs on May 4Once a misguided soul in boxing’s unforgiving wilderness, Johnson captured a long-sought purpose when he destroyed Frank Buglioni in one session around this time last year. The Beterbiev setback followed immediately, but despite the reversal, Joe Gallagher insists that it was a fight that demonstrated Johnson’s world-class credentials and they’ll be on display again this Saturday night when the British fighter takes on Long Island tough guy, Sean Monaghan in Verona, New York.“Callum now knows what the top level is all about,” declared Gallagher hours before jetting out to America’s east coast to accompany his charge into battle. “When I was escorting him back to the corner after the Beterbiev loss, he was begging me to try and get the fight made again. He’s had a taste of what it’s like to be in with the best guys in his division and he’s desperate to get there again. He went into that fight with only one round of action in about 18 months and that wasn’t ideal, but he’s taken plenty of positives from the performance and he’ll be a much better fighter for it.”In Monaghan, Johnson is going up against one of the east coast’s most popular boxers and there was a time in the sport when the East New York native was being promoted heavily. Vastly supported, Monaghan built himself a credible ledger, but his good form counted for nothing when he was bulldozed by Marcus Browne inside two rounds in the summer of 2017. A second career loss to Sullivan Barrera last November put a major dent in Monaghan’s world title aspirations, and Gallagher is confident that his man can pile further misery on the home favorite when the first bell rings this weekend.“He’s a good fighter who comes to have a go and Callum needs to be ready for that,” Gallagher said. “He’s had to work so hard to finally get the opportunities that he’s getting now so he has to make sure he’s fully ready to do a proper job on Monaghan. There were times in Callum’s career when he didn’t know if he would ever box again, but he’s stuck at it and I keep telling him that there’s a lot more to come from him. He’s already given a good account of himself at the highest level once and if he can get by Monaghan on Saturday then he’ll hopefully have the chance to prove himself again.” Awaiting Johnson if successful this Saturday night is a cast of characters that make 175 pounds one of the most daunting weight divisions in boxing. With Johnson already fully aware of the damage that Beterbiev can cause, the remaining beltholders possess a significant risk with the likes of Sergey Kovalev, and Saturday’s headliner against Joe Smith Jr, Dmitry Bivol, occupying the important positions at light-heavyweight. Gallagher knows the category well and has observed all the champions up close, but he’s relishing the task of guiding Johnson towards another world title crack.Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a year“It’s wide open at the top if you ask me. Kovalev isn’t the fighter he was, Bivol has looked a little ordinary later, and we know Beterbiev well,” Gallagher said. “I think the thing for Callum now is to just get experience at the top level. He had no choice but to take on the Beterbiev fight because there was nothing else there, but things are different now. He’s active, he’s getting good fights, and he knows what standard is required. This can be a good couple of years for Callum, but his focus has to be on this Saturday night and I expect a great performance from him.”