Springfest shuts down before headliner Rae Sremmurd takes stage

first_imgSpringfest 2017 was canceled Saturday night after crowds exceeded maximum capacity, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. Department of Public Safety officers arrived on scene soon after the show’s cancellation to form a skirmish line.There were no life-threatening injuries, but at least one person was transported to the hospital, according to an LAFD statement.Hip-hop group Migos had begun performing their second song of the night, after their set had already been delayed for more than 30 minutes. One of the members of Migos’ team urged crowd members to step back and stop pushing one another and to leave the crowd area if they were in need of medical attention.Rae Sremmurd, the headliner of the event, did not take the stage due to the event’s cancellation.USC Concerts Committee explained the decision in the Springfest 2017 Facebook event page.“The decision to end Springfest early stemmed from a unanimous decision to keep students’ safety as our top priority,” it wrote. “While we are disappointed the event ended early, there was no other option. Thanks to everyone that came through; we appreciate your patience.”Students left on their own and were escorted by security personnel, according to the Department of Public Safety.Trevor Sochocki | Daily TrojanGrecia Vega, a sophomore majoring in accounting, said she was in the front of the crowd when people began to lose consciousness.“People just started passing out in my friend’s arms and suffocating,” Vega said. “We were trying to get people’s attention — no one was paying attention.”Vega said she had arrived early to beat the crowd, but once the concert started she said she felt unsafe.“It was super scary,” Vega said. “I thought people were going to stampede and that someone was going to die. A concert is not worth that.”Trevor Nielsen, a junior majoring in electrical engineering, was part of the crowd during Migos’ set and witnessed the concert shutting down. He said that ultimately the show’s cancellation was due to poor planning that could have amounted to audience members getting hurt.“Concerts Committee didn’t anticipate how large the crowd would be for Rae Sremmurd and Migos on the same night,” Nielsen said. “Honestly, the University made the right call shutting it down.”This post has been updated to include statements from DPS, LAFD and USC Concerts Committee.Allen Pham and Trevor Sochocki contributed to this report.Correction: A previous version of this article stated that the DPS riot squad was on the scene. There were no DPS or Los Angeles Police Department riot squads. DPS and LAPD officers were present in helmets and prepared to form a skirmish line. The Daily Trojan regrets the error.last_img read more

Syracuse women’s basketball falls at No. 7 Florida State, 77-58

first_imgSyracuse (13-7, 4-3 Atlantic Coast) dropped its second straight road game, this time losing at No. 7 Florida State, 77-58, on Thursday night. The Orange now falls to 4-7 away from the Carrier Dome.The problem tonight for SU was the first quarter, when it got outscored by FSU 26-7. Syracuse had 13 missed shots and six turnovers in the frame. The Orange made a run in the second half but it was far from enough.“In the first half we dug ourselves a hole,” SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said. “That could have been a 35, 40-point loss.”Outside of the first quarter, FSU and the Orange each scored 51 points. The 21 turnovers for the Orange is the worst mark in conference play this season and the Seminoles picked up 26 points off the miscues.Alexis Peterson, who scored 21 of her 26 points after the break, led Syracuse’s second half charge. But she was left without much help, as Brittney Sykes was the only other player to score in double figures, with 10. FSU had more points in the paint (34) than everyone on SU combined, excluding Peterson.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textHillsman is disappointed in his team’s performance and had a simple solution for how the Orange can improve next time out.“You gotta make shots to start the game off,” Hillsman said. Comments Published on January 20, 2017 at 3:44 am Contact Tomer: tdlanger@syr.edu | @tomer_langer Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Fourth annual Poker Run, Walk, Trot fundraiser kicks-off Saturday, Aug. 29

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, Mich. —  Liberty Landris is the event organizer and knows first-hand the importance offering hope to individuals suffering from neurologic diseases.  Landris was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2017.  She said while the diagnosis has been life-altering, she has worked hard to resume normal activities and looks forward to planning the fundraiser every year.“I was pretty messed for a little while, but I’m so grateful to be back to the level that I am,” said Landris.  “I’m doing better now than I ever thought I would.”The event starts at 12 p.m.  Participants can enjoy a potluck dinner, and prizes after the poker run.To request pledges sheets or more information contact Liberty Landris at 989-745-5102 or send an email to libertytimmons@yahoo.com AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Gov. Whitmer announces MI Mask Aid: 4 million free masks to protect vulnerable populations from COVID-19  Next ACC honors exchange studentslast_img read more

Tuschen councillors, residents criticise Govt for neglected roads

first_imgResidents and NDC Councillors of the East Bank Essequibo communities of Tuschen and Zeelugt are contending that, despite efforts made in the past to engage authorities on the state of the roadways in those communities, no remedial action has been taken by Government in regard to having the roads rehabilitated.Consequently, the roads are currently in a deplorable state, and continue to worsen with time.Speaking with Guyana Times on Friday, Councillors of the Tuschen- Uitvlugt Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) indicated that the situation of the entire road network along Block Eight, Tuschen New Scheme has seen no maintenance in three years.“It has been like that for the past three years. What happened is (that), under the previous administration, we would’ve seen regular maintenance of that road occurring on a yearly basis; and not only the road, but the drainage system. RightSections along the deplorable road at Tuschen, New Housing Scheme now, no work has been done in the scheme. The entire road network in Tuschen Block Eight is in terrible situation,” one of the councillors stated.Contacted, NDC Chairman Vishal Ambedkar also indicated that maintenance of the Tuschen and Zeelugt area does not fall within the remit of the Council, but that of Central Government. He further indicated that the Council has tried on numerous occasions to contact both Local and Central Government entities to have the roads fixed, but there has been no response in over two years.“To date, nothing has been done: no update, no plans as to what is in the pipeline for Tuschen or Zeelugt. Those two areas don’t come under the NDC,” Ambedkar said.“Regarding other roads in the area, the NDC tried as much as possible, where it can and where we have the resources, to carry out and execute works,” Ambedkar further related. “We have raised the situation with those roads at every level. We’ve raised it at the NDC, where it came from councillors of that area. We raised it at the (level of the) RDC; at the parliamentary (level), as well as (with subject ministers). We’ve highlighted the situation with those roads with Minister Patterson, Minister Harmon; and we’ve written letters to the Ministry of Communities,” he added.He highlighted that during the rainy season, the roads are in a much worse state, since the drains are in need of maintenance as well.“If you were to come here and see what the people has to go through every day to get out from the scheme on to the public road to go to work, school, and so on, you’ll be amazed at how they do it, especially when the rain falls,” Ambedkar detailed.He related that complaints about the condition of the road are lodged at the council every day by drivers and other road users. However, little can be done by the council, since the issue requires the attention of the Public Infrastructure Ministry.“I receive complaints on a daily basis from residents in Tuschen as well as Zeelugt New Scheme. No assistance is being given to those communities by Central Government. Sometimes we want to know if those two communities are in Guyana, because you see things happening in the other communities in terms of road and infrastructure, but when it comes to Tuschen and Zeelugt, nothing is being done,” the NDC Chairman said.This neglect of the roads has led to many using alternative measures to exit the scheme; and in some cases, drivers would take more than twice the time to traverse the road.A 48-year-old taxi driver who gave his name only as Mohan indicated that he would have to conduct regular repairs on his car, since the large craters along the entire road would register serious damages on his vehicle.“I was driving here all the time, and nothing never use to happen. Now, sometimes every week something does wrong with me car. That’s more expense, and then the gas price even more now,” the distraught man explained.Persons who have to traverse the roads on a daily basis are concerned, since their travel is time consuming and the situation is unbearable when it rains.last_img read more

50 teams in Kibera kitted by Celtic Foundation and New Balance

first_imgThe initiative seeks to re-introduce competitive football and talent search in Kenya. The teams were kitted with this season Celtic FC jerseys, which commemorates fifty years since Celtic won the European Cup.The ceremony involved two charity football matches at Olympic Secondary School in Kibera which saw Dafabet-sponsored Kibera Celtic take on their local rivals Kibera Lexus.Chris Darling talking with some of the playersThe entertaining match saw Kibera Celtic beating Lexus 2-1in front of hundreds of fans – their first win over their arch-rivals in over three years.Kenya’s popular artiste Nonini Mgenge True and Kenya’s biggest reggae DJ Kriss Darlin graced the event and both took part in a Celebrity penalty shootout between Kibera Celtic and Kibera Legends.Kibera Celtic won 6-5 with the Kriss Darlin, who captained the side, scored the winner while Nonini led Kibera Legends.“I’m delighted to have participated the event and would like to thank Dafabet for facilitating and kitting the kids here in Kibera and for asking me to be a part of it. I believe that this is the right direction in promoting talent and encourage hard work amongst our youth,” said Kriss Darlin.A team in Kibera that was kittedNonini said: “I am happy that Celtic Foundation and New Balance had the heart to come to the ground and give the junior and youth teams a reason to smile.”Dafabet Head of Business development Chris Harley who is a lifelong Celtic fan praised the Celtic Foundation and New Balance for facilitating the kitting of the teams in Kenya.“We believe in giving back to the community and Kibera is the start for us,” Harley said.0Shares0000(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000One of the teams that was kitted on Saturday.NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 11 – Glasgow based Celtic Foundation and kit manufacturer New Balance have donated football jerseys to teams in Nairobi’s Kibera.Betting giants Dafabet, shirt sponsors of Scottish giants Celtic FC, facilitated the event on Saturday bringing to 50 the number of grass root teams in Kibera to have benefited from the initiative dubbed ‘#turudigame.’last_img read more