To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Topics : Mexico surpassed 700,000 confirmed coronavirus cases on Monday even as health authorities cited what they described as nearly two months of slowing infection rates.On Monday, the Health Ministry reported 2,917 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the Latin American country, bringing the total to 700,580 as well as a cumulative death toll of 73,697.According to a Reuters tally, Latin America has recorded around 8.7 million coronavirus cases and over 322,000 deaths, both figures being the highest of any region. While Brazil is the hardest-hit country in the region, Peru, Colombia and Mexico have also seen severe outbreaks.Despite aggressive lockdown measures in many countries across the region, as well as widespread compliance in mitigation strategies such as masks and social distancing, experts suggest that the region’s rampant poverty and large informal economies have made containment difficult.In Mexico, senior health authorities like Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell, the public face of the government’s coronavirus strategy, have conceded that the real number of cases in the country is significantly higher that the official figures indicate.Still, he argues that the outbreak in Mexico has shown signs of slowing over the past couple of months. “We now have eight consecutive weeks of a falling [caseload],” Lopez-Gatell told reporters at a regular briefing on Monday evening.He previously cited falling rates of new hospitalizations and deaths.President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador was criticized early on for minimizing the health crisis, encouraging families to go out to restaurants even as other countries were imposing lockdown measures. He has very rarely used a mask in public.
Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 21 Jul 2020 10:44 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link221Shares Aston Villa should have beaten Arsenal by more, reckons Jack Grealish Advertisement Jack Grealish reckons Aston Villa should have won more comfortably against Arsenal (Picture: Pool via Getty Images)Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish says his team should have beaten Arsenal by more after their shock 1-0 win in the Premier League on Tuesday night.The Villains picked up a crucial three points which saw them climb out of the relegation zone with just one game left to play and put their fate in their own hands.If Villa can win at West Ham on Sunday then they will remain in the Premier League next season, which had looked unlikely before they picked up seven points from the last nine available.Despite battling relegation, and Arsenal beating both Liverpool and Manchester City in the last week, Grealish feels Villa should have beaten the Gunners by more than the solitary Trezequet goal.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘It was unbelievable, I think it was deserved as well, I thought we were outstanding today,’ Grealish told Sky Sports. ‘Everything about us: game management, defensive display, the way we counter attacked‘The only problem was that we probably should have got another goal but we”ll take 1-0 against a great team like Arsenal, we saw what they did to Man City at the weekend.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityGrealish may have been disappointed with his forwards not taking chances, with substitute Keinan Davis missing a clear chance with 15 minutes left on the clock, but he was full of praise for his defenders and how they have improved since the coronavirus break.‘We had certain things before COVID that we were struggling with, one of them being set pieces for example, conceding goals, but we’ve had zoom calls twice a week, once we were back we’ve been working in training every single day and since we’ve been back we’ve defended brilliantly and been brilliant from set-pieces, so it shows we’ve been working hard.’MORE: Brighton to make move for Arsenal defender Ainsley Maitland-NilesMORE: Mason Mount is better than Jack Grealish and James Maddison, reckons Phil NevilleFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Advertisement Comment
At the IPE Awards in Berlin in 2016, Wiesner was presented with the Gold Award for Outstanding Industry Contribution.One judge commented at the time: “An impressive record and outstanding career, creating a pioneering role for the Bosch scheme in Germany and Europe.”Wiesner was the brains behind restructuring the pension plans at the German Bosch Group by making pension payouts more flexible.Following his studies in law, Wiesner started at Bosch in 1985 as an employment lawyer. In 1991 he went on to head the department for company benefit plans. In 2002 Bosch set up the first Pensionsfonds for a German industrial company and Wiesner became its first chief executive.Apart from his roles at Bosch and aba, Wiesner also was the first employer representative on EIOPA’s Occupational Stakeholder Group (OPSG).Wiesner was never shy to discuss his ideas in public. For IPE he was an important partner in understanding German pensions, promoting new concepts and cross-border pensions.In his post-retirement interview with IPE at the end of 2015 he said: “A lot has already been done in Germany to bring occupational pensions up to date but there is still very much to do. I am an optimist and in this role I have contributed my fair share.”IPE expresses deepest sympathies to Wiesner’s family, friends and colleagues. The European pension sector has lost one of its most active participants, an important promoter of cross-border pensions and a pioneer in modernising occupational pension systems: Bernhard Wiesner died last weekend aged 62 in an accident on his motorbike in Mallorca, his chosen retirement refuge.In 2015 Wiesner announced his intention to retire after more than a quarter of a century in pensions.He retained his position on the board of the German occupational pension association (aba), which he had held since 2003.On behalf of aba, chairman Heribert Karch issued a condolence note on the “tragic accident” and expressed “deepest sympathy” to Wiesner’s family.
Share Governor of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank, Sir. Dwight Venner. Photo credit: apps.sgu.eduThe governor of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank Sir Dwight Venner reported that economic activity declined by 1.8 percent in 2010, a slower rate compared to 5.4 percent 2009.He says weak external demand and the reduction in domestic investment contributed to this decline which resulted in the continued contraction of activity in the construction, transport and communication sectors.He says the international financial downturn has impacted the banks performance for the 2010/2011 financial year.Meantime, Sir Dwight says the year 2012 will be critical for the member states as the ECCU strives to strengthen its economies and position itself to take advantage of the opportunities from the anticipated global economic recovery.Dominica Vibes News Tweet Share Share LocalNews Economic activity declined by 1.8% says Sir Dwight Venner by: – June 30, 2011 Sharing is caring! 70 Views no discussions
39 Views no discussions A group of Clico policy holders called the Santa Rosa Team has initiated a series of legal actions to recover losses from the directors of CLICO. (File photo)PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad and Tobago, Thursday December 22, 2011 – Not satisfied with the payout plan recently offered by government to some larger CLICO investors and policyholders, one association of policyholders is targeting former CLICO directors to make up the shortfall.The Santa Rosa Team, which represents a number of CLICO Executive Flexible Premium Annuity (EFPA) policyholders, announced this week that they were going after the “the hundreds of millions of dollars (and possibly much more) in assets of those who are directly responsible for [the policyholders] financial plight.”In the statement issued on Monday, December 19, the Santa Rosa team argued that the difference between what the EFPA policyholders were due (as per Rajnauth-Lee judgment) and what they were now being offered by the government, was a loss resulting directly from a “catalogue of failures on the part of directors, past and present to discharge their fiduciary responsibilities, and in some cases perhaps to have conspired in the execution of fraudulent acts”.Under its new plan, government has said policyholders for the first ten years would get a yield of approximately 80 cents for every dollar of their investment if they chose to cash in their investment within six months.For years 11 to 20, the investors have been promised a return of 100 cents on the dollar, if they opt to swap these zero-coupon bonds for units in the investment holding company that has been called NEL II.David Walker, the lead consultant for the Santa Rosa Team, said Monday’s statement that the legal action also included those who chose to accept the government’s offer, but he we strongly recommended the EFPA policyholders to reject the government plan as it greatly reduced their chances of getting a full payout.He urged the EFPA policyholders in the statement to lend their support both for the likelihood of a greater settlement and for the national good. Caribbean 360 News NewsRegional CLICO policy holders in Trinidad mount legal action against company directors by: – December 22, 2011 Share Tweet Share Sharing is caring! Share
But teenage forward Greenwood struck after the interval to lift United into third place in the Premier League. United are ahead of fourth placed Chelsea on goal difference, but the Blues would regain third if they avoid defeat against champions Liverpool later on Wednesday night. Regardless of the result at Anfield, United will finish in the top four if they draw or win in their decisive showdown with fifth placed Leicester on Sunday.United are one point ahead of Leicester going into their last game of the season at the King Power Stadium.Solskjaer’s team were well below their best against West Ham, but they are now unbeaten in 13 league matches and will complete an impressive surge into the Champions League if they emerge unscathed at Leicester. Manchester United moved closer to qualifying for the Champions League as Mason Greenwood rescued a 1-1 draw against West Ham on Wednesday. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side fell behind to Michail Antonio’s penalty in the first half at Old Trafford.Advertisement They can also qualify for Europe’s elite club competition if they win the Europa League in August.Solskjaer will have been relieved there were no costly mistakes from David De Gea after the United keeper retained his place.The Spaniard made two embarrassing errors that led to goals in United’s 3-1 FA Cup semi-final defeat against Chelsea on Sunday.But De Gea has started every league game since Solskjaer took charge and the United manager backed him in a pre-match interview, saying: “Form might be temporary but class is permanent is that saying and he’s an absolutely top keeper.”West Ham’s point ensured they are mathematically certain to avoid relegation.Beaten for the first time in 20 matches in all competitions at the weekend, United had no time to sulk as they looked to secure that lucrative Champions League berth.United knew draws against West Ham and Leicester would be enough to secure a top four finish.After their sluggish show at Wembley, Solskjaer’s men made a more enterprising start this time and West Ham keeper Lukasz Fabianski was tested twice inside the first four minutes.Anthony Martial’s stinging strike from just inside the penalty area forced an excellent save from Fabianski, who then plunged to his right to keep out Greenwood’s effort.Rashford tried his luck from 30 yards, but the forward’s powerful drive was too close to Fabianski, while Greenwood’s close-range shot was blocked by Ogbonna.De Gea had been a spectator for the first 40 minutes and when he was finally called into action, Antonio’s header lacked the power to trouble him.But De Gea still had to pick the ball out of the net moments before half-time after Paul Pogba handed West Ham a penalty.Declan Rice’s free-kick was smashed straight at Pogba, who instinctively stuck up his arms to protect his face.Despite Pogba dropping to the turf as though he had been hit in the head, VAR confirmed the France midfielder’s handball.Antonio took the spot-kick, sending De Gea the wrong way for his sixth goal in his last three games.United had let the first half drift out of their control, but Greenwood dragged them level with another demonstration of his remarkable maturity in the 51st minute.Dropping deep to exchange passes with Martial, the 18-year-old kept his composure to drill a clinical finish past Fabianski from 12 yards. Read Also: Chelsea ponder move for Barcelona shot-stopperNo teenager has ever scored more goals in a single season in all competitions for United than Greenwood, whose 17th of the season moved him level with George Best, Brian Kidd and Wayne Rooney.With Bruno Fernandes unable to exert his usual influence, United fell away after Greenwood’s goal and De Gea made a superb tip-over from Jarrod Bowen’s venomous blast before Rice shot narrowly wide from 25 yards.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Promoted ContentCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth7 Train Stations In The World You Wish To Stay At Longer18 Cities With Neverending Tourist-FlowPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your BodyTV Characters Who Hated Each Other But Later Became Friends6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually TrueCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way
The 29-year-old returned after almost 12 months out of action in Sunday’s 3-0 win at Aston Villa. Fletcher has struggled for virtually three years with ulcerative colitis, a condition that proved so serious it eventually required three lots of surgery. Darren Fletcher has won the most important battle of his life and now he is aiming to restore Manchester United to their long-held position as England’s top club. Now recovered, the midfielder is eager to rejoin the fray after being helpless to prevent an awful start to David Moyes’ reign which, prior to last weekend, had seen United slump to ninth spot in the Premier League. “It is hard enough watching the lads win,” he said. “At least if they do that you enjoy the moments. “It is a lot more difficult when we are not. “We need to go on a winning run and put ourselves in a position where people are saying we are still there. “I want to help us win matches to bring back the success we are used to.” Fletcher is in contention to play some part in Wednesday’s Capital One Cup quarter-final at Stoke, declaring: “I don’t want to take it easy. I’ve done enough of that.” Certainly if United’s squad show as much character as Fletcher has needed in recent months, they will be fine. For one of the most likeable characters in the game, Fletcher knew it was not just his football career that was on the line if surgery did not prove successful, his entire life would have been affected. “I couldn’t leave the house,” he said. “Simple stuff, like taking my kids to the park, going for a meal with my wife. “The nature of the illness meant I just couldn’t do it. “There was the exhaustion side as well. “I always believed one of the medications would work. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case. “Ultimately that was the reason I went for the operation.” Although Fletcher’s surgeon was confident surgery would prove successful, the consequences of failure were laid bare. Supposedly in the prime of a career that had already brought him four Premier League titles, an FA Cup and a couple of League Cups, it was a bleak prospect. “There was a day in May when we said ‘this is it’. Once I came out of that operation I would know whether it had worked or not. “There were no guarantees. If the operation was not a success there was no way I would be able to play football and my everyday life would have been very difficult. “It was very emotional. There was a lot of fear and anxiety. “I put all my trust in the surgeon.” Press Association
Published on July 5, 2014 at 1:19 pm Contact Sam: firstname.lastname@example.org | @SamBlum3 Outside linebacker Doyle Grimes committed to Syracuse’s Class of 2015 on Saturday, he confirmed on Twitter.Grimes attends South Dade Senior (Fla.) High School, and is listed at 6 feet, 2 inches and 200 pounds, according to Scout.com. He chose Syracuse over offers from West Virginia, Cincinnati and Marshall, among others.Grimes is the 20th commit in the Class of 2015. On this date last season, Syracuse only had seven commits in the Class of 2014.He is also the third OLB in the class and the seventh commit from the state of Florida. Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Facebook Twitter Google+